Gun and ammo people I need some help please.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Next month I am doing a bowling pin shoot out at my uncles range.

I want to use my 45 ACP but they have some crazy rule about the ammo.

Lead Ammo Only (No Jacked Ammo allowed).

Can someone recommend a good ammo for bowling pins and an online source because I don't make my own reloads. None of my local gun shops stock this ammo.

Thank you in advance people.

Last edited:

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
That may be a tough one. Do not know of anyone who sells led only rounds. Might try a gun show as sometimes they have some lead reloads for sale.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Wow, I used to do a ton of IPSC shoots with my trusty Randall .45. I reloaded my own, with lead, of course.

I would inquire around at local gun clubs. There's likely a member or two who are reloading, and they may be able to sell you some. Also, I would ask the folks who are running the shoot, they might know too.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
http://www.luckygunner.com
Wadcutters
a5c4890dc79e52e25d2c63a095a9a299_6.jpg

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
I had purchased 9mm lead at Dick's before, don't know if they have .45 lead. Some manufacturers, such as Glock, do not recommend lead cartridges although I had no issues. I always use FMJ now.

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
Would be fun to shoot pins with SWC, just make sure your 1911 can eat them. My 1911 is finicky eater and has feed issues with anything other than ball ammo. I need to get it reliably feeding other types.
Yeah, I have the 4516-1 and it does jam on occasion.

DJAMiller

Established Member
I'd consider getting a separate barrel for shooting lead. It's a bitch getting lead clean from the barrel. And if left in, accuracy goes away.

Its really not too bad, if the ammo isn't loaded too hot and the bullets were sized properly leading isn't too much of an issue. If your worried about it I would inquire about coated bullets (like blue bullets) or copper plated (not the same thing as FMJ), they may allow those and both options are cleaner.

Machdup1

Established Member
I'm shooting H&K.

What would be the purpose of this rule?

I'm guessing an even playing field?

Could be a variety of reasons

Maybe jacketed bullets destroy the pins faster.

Or maybe it addresses a safety issue.

Ask the match directors and they will be delighted to tell you the reason to which you will go "OK, I understand the need for that." Gun people don't make up stupid rules for no reason.

BTW, if you were local down here, I would show you how to make your own (i.e., pour the lead) cast lead bullets and then build a round that will run in your pistol at around 850fps. FYI. There is some possibility that your gun will need to have to have its springs changed to support the light loads. I have a Kimber that does not like light loads and turns into a jamomatic pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread