Guiys who've replaced your 460 audio systems, help.

97cobra1

Established Member
My amps are blown, and currently im listening to my phone in the door pocket to increase sound volume lol.

at this point after what i've read, i've just gonna have a buddy of mine help me and redo the whole car and pull the old 460 stuff out.

Can someone point me in a direction wher ei can get some good research done on the subject?

not looking to do anything too crazy, just a mild sound system.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Run 6.5" Components in the front and some 5x7/6x8's in the rear deck off of a 4 channel amp..

I'm a pretty big audiophile and I'm running two sets of these in my LS off of a JL digital 4 channel.. They blow people away how clean they are..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P80920/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although, the price went up $50 in the last month or so.. I only paid 136 for them..

Anyhow, you can use the stock Mach tweeter locations, which are excellent.

You don't have to amp them, but I highly suggest it.. Otherwise, you will still be running all new speaker wire through the car..

Last edited:

97cobra1

Established Member
Right on, i might PM you in teh future when i start the project. a buddy of mine used to live out in cali and worked in an audio shop so he's gonna help me.

Did you replace all 4 speakers or just the front two, andwhere did you mount the amp?

97cobra1

Established Member
Appreciate the links to places to shop, but i'm looking more for like a walk through wiht pictures, so i can see where amps were mounted and how stuff was ran. I don't really feel like crutchfield is the place to get the info i'm looking for.

THE RED 1

Wake up, piss excellence
Established Member
When I ripped mine out I put in an aftermarket head unit and ran the corresponding wires for each speaker and a hi/low box for the tweeters it took me maybe 3hours, crutchfield is the best place for parts:pigtails speakers ,wiring etc

97cobra1

Established Member
How hard is it to run the wires through the door areas? Did you replace all 4 speakers, or just the front two?

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
How hard is it to run the wires through the door areas? Did you replace all 4 speakers, or just the front two?

Youll have to replace all 4.. its easy to run thru the boots. You just need a giant ziptie, some electrical tape and some windex

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

97cobra1

Established Member
Youll have to replace all 4.. its easy to run thru the boots. You just need a giant ziptie, some electrical tape and some windex

Thats what i planned on doing, i just saw a couple of posts by guys on other forums i was bouncing around saying to only do the front.

SVT Rob

Established Member
Someone posted the front door speakers as 6.5", but the ones on my convertible are 6x8. Just an FYI to check and make sure before spending your money. I bought 5.25" for the rear, and they are too small for the enclosure, 6.5" would have been a better option there.

For the time being, I just replaced the head unit and added an amp/sub for extra sound. But you really have to crank up the volume to get halfway decent sound out of the factory sound setup. I plan on pulling the entire system, and installing my own 4-channel amp, and running all new speaker wire.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Someone posted the front door speakers as 6.5", but the ones on my convertible are 6x8. Just an FYI to check and make sure before spending your money. I bought 5.25" for the rear, and they are too small for the enclosure, 6.5" would have been a better option there.

For the time being, I just replaced the head unit and added an amp/sub for extra sound. But you really have to crank up the volume to get halfway decent sound out of the factory sound setup. I plan on pulling the entire system, and installing my own 4-channel amp, and running all new speaker wire.

They are all 5x7 in every year and trim from 94-04, but 6.5" is a better replacement

NOVA98Cobra

Street Defiers
Established Member
you can get two used rear amps off ebay for $100...I know because I'm looking for a front amp :)

I got the front amp for sale you are looking for. On that note I have the entire mach 460 (every single component for sale). Sorry for the hijack

Users who are viewing this thread