Guinea Pigs

ff500

Established Member
Anybody have or had one? We just got one for my daughter for Christmas, we got it early and I've got him in his cage in the basemant hoping to get it acclimated. She's 7 and will absolutely love him.

He seems very nervous, anything I should be doing to get him comfortable and not so skiddish.

u n v kenny

Established Member
He will calm down over time. I had an ex gf who had three of them. Change their litter as MUCH as possible. They stink if you don't.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I have 2 at home. Get him another friend! They do much better with others because they are a herd animal. hey will hide a lot, their just timid animals. When they are hungry they will let you know and that's generally when they come out. We have a white one with a mohawk and she will stand on her back legs on top of the igloo squeaking. The black and white one we have is a lot more timid. She looks like a skunk.

And prepare to be the one taking care of it after a few weeks. These we for my girls 7th birthday. She liked them for a little while then kind of forgets about them. I have to remind her to feed and water them, LOL.

I got a 4x2 floor cage for them to run around in. Change the bedding every couple weeks. They also like fruits and leaves. There's a lot of info online.

Evan5469

Established Member
I had one when I was a lot younger so I don't remember too much, but what I do remember has already been said several times above. That is, make sure you change the bedding as often as you can or it will smell. Also, they do like to eat fruits and veggies besides just their usual dry pellet type food.

ff500

Established Member
Thanks, I didn't expect such quick responses! I've done some reading and almost everything I've read suggests you have a pair. He's a male so we should get another male from what I've been reading.

We gotta keep this a secret until Xmas, so I'll be caring for him until then. I don't know if I should get another now or wait til after she gets this one. I don't want the poor guy to be lonely or afraid and die before Xmas, that would be horrible.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Thanks, I didn't expect such quick responses! I've done some reading and almost everything I've read suggests you have a pair. He's a male so we should get another male from what I've been reading.

We gotta keep this a secret until Xmas, so I'll be caring for him until then. I don't know if I should get another now or wait til after she gets this one. I don't want the poor guy to be lonely or afraid and die before Xmas, that would be horrible.

Ya, if you get a female, it's going to be like throwing water on a gremlin, lol.

Ours was a lone for a few weeks. He will be fine. Just hold and pet him sometimes. It's really cool when they purr.

DefCon3

Established Member
The natives call them "Chicken of the trees."

Get him a friend; they are happier in pairs. Ask the pet store if two males will get along, some animals are very territorial. If you get a female, you'll never go hungry. :)

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Here is Rosa(white) and Molly (black)
30164610150359587397165.jpg

31000810150359589127165.jpg

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
A little girl and a new pet?

Prepare to buy the accessories. Those plastic tubes that hook up to the cage so they can run around the room without getting loose are very popular.

And really, really replace the bedding constantly. Every day wouldn't be too often. Keeps the smell down to nearly zero.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I rescued one I found in his cage in the dumpster years ago. Some stupid **** decided they didn't want their guinea pig anymore and threw the poor animal away like it was a beer can or something! I kept the poor little guy, he lived with me for 5 years before he died.

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
A little girl and a new pet?

Prepare to buy the accessories. Those plastic tubes that hook up to the cage so they can run around the room without getting loose are very popular.

And really, really replace the bedding constantly. Every day wouldn't be too often. Keeps the smell down to nearly zero.

I didn't buy any of that because I was told they don't really like that kind of stuff. All mine has in the cage are Igloos and a wooden carrot to chew on, minus the food and water, lol.

They don't really play like Hamsters and Gerbils.

Danderson

Established Member
I have had a couple pigs they do well in groups and none of mine ever played with toys tunnels ect. The 2 I currently have love brown bags and Kleenex boxes. Mine were shy at first but I pick tem up and give them attention and will accualy come to play with me like a cat or dog would.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
We had 2. Supposedly both girls. Nope. Wrong answer. 1 boy and 1 girl. We had babies 3 month later. Gave them away. We separated the 2 with a 2 foot high board in the middle of the cage. We hear PLOOMP. Get up to see and the boy had scaled over the board and was laying the pipe to the girl. Needless to say more babies. Gave them away. Kept the first boy and one other. They are great pets. My daughter dressed them up in her doll outfits. Poor Millie looked comical and you could tell he wasn't pleased. My wife gave them away during the summer because we were not around enough to enjoy them. Fantastic animals as pets. Very loving.

ff500

Established Member
He's been eating and coming out of his little house but he runs and hides when he hears us walk into the room, so I guess thats a good sign.

Users who are viewing this thread