GTO goes down hard...

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
There was a black GTO tailing me on the way home from Manchester. Kept on getting on my ass and pushing me to race.

I really wasn't in the mood, but after remembering several posts on LS1GTO.COM about GTO's beating 03/04 Cobra's, I figured what the hell. I dropped from 6th to 4th. I don't think he was expecting it, and I instantly gained a good 4 or 5 cars on him. He tried to make up the difference and picked up a car or so, but once I shifted to 5th, I just kept pulling on him.

Poor bastard.

I got off the highway a few exists as the GTO seemed to quit after the beating he was given.

As I drove into the parking lot of the grocery store, I noticed the GTO pulling in behind me.

He said nice race, and we got into talking about our cars he had:
K&N Aircharger, MSD plug wires with NGK TR55 plugs, Borla exhaust
, JBA headers and some weird looking hood.

He claimed around 400 to the wheels.

He was cool right up till "Well I'm going to get a 2005 GTO and that will smoke any Cobra's ass"

Considering the 2004 can't even take a Mach1 or 2005 Mustang GT, I doubt the 2005 even with an extra 50 horses is going to touch a Cobra. Not only did it get an extra 50 HP, but it looks like about another 100 lbs of weight too...

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Evil_Merlin said:
There was a black GTO tailing me on the way home from Manchester. Kept on getting on my ass and pushing me to race.

I really wasn't in the mood, but after remembering several posts on LS1GTO.COM about GTO's beating 03/04 Cobra's, I figured what the hell. I dropped from 6th to 4th. I don't think he was expecting it, and I instantly gained a good 4 or 5 cars on him. He tried to make up the difference and picked up a car or so, but once I shifted to 5th, I just kept pulling on him.

Poor bastard.

I got off the highway a few exists as the GTO seemed to quit after the beating he was given.

As I drove into the parking lot of the grocery store, I noticed the GTO pulling in behind me.

He said nice race, and we got into talking about our cars he had:
K&N Aircharger, MSD plug wires with NGK TR55 plugs, Borla exhaust
, JBA headers and some weird looking hood.

He claimed around 400 to the wheels.

He was cool right up till "Well I'm going to get a 2005 GTO and that will smoke any Cobra's ass"

Considering the 2004 can't even take a Mach1 or 2005 Mustang GT, I doubt the 2005 even with an extra 50 horses is going to touch a Cobra. Not only did it get an extra 50 HP, but it looks like about another 100 lbs of weight too...
Nice Kill. I have yet to run into one of those but have seen a couple in town. If the GTO owner says he puts down 400rwhp and he lost to you, why in the hell would an 05' be any quicker when when they are rated @ 400hp and will probably put down somewhere in the neighbor hood of 360rwhp. DURRRR :kaboom: :loser:

Last edited:

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
Wheres the extra weight coming from on the 05? The LS2 weighs 15 pounds less than the LS1.

ScaryGT

Established Member
EvergreenSVT said:
Wheres the extra weight coming from on the 05? The LS2 weighs 15 pounds less than the LS1.

I think the extrat weight is coming form additional body changes. I think it is getting a different hood and a new body kit.

On another note, these Goat's are so gay looking... If they didn't have the GTO badge I'd think they were Cavilers! :-D

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
The new C&D magazine has an interesting comparo on the 2005 Mustang GT vs the 400 hp 2005 GTO. The Mustang came in first overall and the GTO was only a little bit faster in the 1/4 despite having a 100 hp advantage. The Mustang also handled better. The new Mustang also made C&D's "10 best cars" list.

2005 Mustang GT ($24,995):
0-60: 5.1
Quarter mile: 13.8@103
Vehicle weight: 3575

2005 GTO: ($33,500):
0-60: 4.8
Quarter mile: 13.3@107
Vehicle weight: 3787

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
First off, good kill. I'm sure that there are *some* GTO's that can beat *some* Cobras, but those are clearly exceptions.

NyteByte, you think 5 tenths is only "a little bit faster" when talking about a 1/4 mile race? That's a pretty large difference -- the difference between, say, your average Mach I and Cobra. Low 13s for the Mach, mid 12s for the Cobra. I'd say a full half second is a big difference.

Now, using the above numbers, if the GTO does indeed get 50 more horses in the next model year, that should drop the times by close to 5/10ths. IOW, get it to the high 12s. That would put it in "drivers race" situation with the current Z06 and Cobra. Even a mediocre driver can typically make up for poor driving when he has a car that's 1/2 second faster than another car, but when you're talking just a few tenths...

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
400 rwhp with those mods? Bullshit. My ls6 made 368 with basically the same mods. Theres no way his little ls1 made that much more :kaboom:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Nuke61 said:
FNyteByte, you think 5 tenths is only "a little bit faster" when talking about a 1/4 mile race?

Well, with 100 extra horsepower and a $33,500 price tag, I just expected a lot more. I guess I was just comparing it to the 03/04 Cobra's which comes with 390 Hp stock, 10 Hp less, and is still faster than the GTO.

Also, the new Mustang GT is a strong runner.

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
NyteByte said:
Well, with 100 extra horsepower and a $33,500 price tag, I just expected a lot more. I guess I was just comparing it to the 03/04 Cobra's which comes with 390 Hp stock, 10 Hp less, and is still faster than the GTO.

Also, the new Mustang GT is a strong runner.

Using Ford's 390 is just dumb as just about everyone I know who dynoed 100% stock 2003/04's are getting 360-380 at the rear wheels, which puts the crank HP at around 410.

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
To put the Cobra stock Hp into perspective, an 02+ Z06 typically dynos at right around 350 rwhp with a 405 Hp rating from GM. My guess is that a Cobra *should* be rated at close to 435 horses if they're putting down 370 average to the wheels, but Ford is sandbagging big time.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Evil_Merlin said:
Using Ford's 390 is just dumb as just about everyone I know who dynoed 100% stock 2003/04's are getting 360-380 at the rear wheels, which puts the crank HP at around 410.

Well whether it's "dumb" or not is a matter of perspective. I'm just using the factory rated specs here. Of course in the real world, a dyno is going to show something different for every car. There are just too many variables (dyno types, air temp, altitude, etc).

My point was the 05 Mustang put out good numbers, especially when comparing it to the much more powerful and more expensive GTO.

Here is an interesting quote from the C&D article:
"Last years GTO (04 model) was 0.2 second slower to 60 and in the quarter than the new Mustang GT; if you'd driven them back-to-back it's unlikely you'd be able to differentiate between the two."

Don't get me wrong, if cost were not a factor, I'd much rather have the 05 GTO over the 05 Mustang GT. But you must admit, the 05 GT is an incredible value.

metaman

Established Member
There is a guy with a blue 04 gto lirking around in WPB Fl. I saw him at the local hot rod show. He has the magnapowers roots blower. The system is almost identical to the one on the 03 cobra. It even has an intercooler hidden under the blower. I thought it was oem until I started inspecting closer. He still has the factory air box, and the factory exhaust including cats. He dynoed 478 / 550 with 5 psi boost. Its definately a sleeper. He could probably clean my clock, I an almost stock 03 cobra.

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
:pop: I go to some gto boars(newagegto.com im 93RedLightning there) and Its funny listing to "rustang Kills" there, and "cavy kills" here. I personaly like the new gto, and love the 05 one.

360R

Established Member
Now, using the above numbers, if the GTO does indeed get 50 more horses in the next model year, that should drop the times by close to 5/10ths. IOW, get it to the high 12s. That would put it in "drivers race" situation with the current Z06 and Cobra. Even a mediocre driver can typically make up for poor driving when he has a car that's 1/2 second faster than another car, but when you're talking just a few tenths...[/QUOTE]

Those numbers are the new ones. The 05 is the newer model with the LS6 motor. The old ones were even slower. A new 05 GTO will not touch the Cobra, there is no way. Specially if you dont have a stock cobra.

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
Nice kill, that guy doesnt know whats going on. I like GTOs tho, my dad bought one and Its pretty fun to drive, nothing compared to the Cobra though.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
1st nice killin'.
2nd While not fond of the GTO I won't mind if all the car makers get in a subtle HP war myself.

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
There doesn't seem to be much subtlety about the Hp wars. The next Z06 is rumored by some sources to have a 500+ hp motor (my guess is 475) and I'd be very surprised if Ford didn't beat it by a few with the next Cobra.

IMO, at or near 500 Hp in a STOCK vehicle isn't very subtle -- it's a horsepower sledgehammer :D

Users who are viewing this thread