GTO encounter

dolphinron

Established Member
I was coming home from work on highway at 4am and noticed some interesting backlights from car ahead of me. Pulled up and saw it was a GTO. I was a happy camper. He had a temp tag still so I was hoping he would love to test it. I lined up next to him at about 80mph and waited for him to go which he did. I am stock and rarely race and it always shows. I meant to shift from sixth to third but of course I put it in fifth gear, I was wondering why I wasn't blowing by him and the revs werent going way up when I realized what I did. I just stayed with it in fifth and by about 100 to 110 I was walking him. If I would have shifted down to third or fourth it would have been no contest.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
dolphinron-staying stock is cool, but invest in a Tri-ax shifter from Steeda they can make a bad shifter aka "you" into a better shifter. Itll eliminate the missed 3rd shift altogether. hth nice kill

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The bad thing is...he thinks that he stayed with you. Know your gears dude, know your gears. But it was still a good kill, and you can always say that you walked a GTO Stock for Stock in 5th. ;)

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Yeah, after he does a mod or 2 to the GTO he will think he can beat a Cobra. Boy will he be surprised!

Nice kill! Hope I come across one sometime. I haven't even seen one in person yet.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Originally posted by Hissman
The bad thing is...he thinks that he stayed with you. Know your gears dude, know your gears. But it was still a good kill, and you can always say that you walked a GTO Stock for Stock in 5th. ;)
Yup, the pro 5.0 or steeda will definately help with your driving and thus represenation, but none the less good kill.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Originally posted by 99COBRA2881
nice kill

You folks living in denial around here or something saying that was a good kill?????

It's not a kill. He did nothing that would put it in the GTO driver's mind that the Cobra could blow the doors off. If anything the GTO driver watched the Cobra "lumber-in-5th" upto him which would only make the GTO driver think that the Cobra was a POS.

Sorry but no kill in my opinion because of the missed opportunity to make the statement definitive.

Last edited:

96SVT_2_NV

Established Member
Originally posted by Sanke Pilot
He's lucky just to have found one. My understanding is most never left the dealers lots.:D

haha and now they think that on the 05's they can just throw on a Grand Am lookin hood and sales will skyrocket, i do like the car tho even tho its doesnt represent a GTO at all and they just keep tryin to make a Grand Am/Grand Prix muscle car

but i did hear the GTO Judge if it comes out will have a LS2 making about the same numbers as the C6, but thats just what i heard

chrisle7220

Established Member
LOL, ive done the same before. Downshifted to 5th instead of 3rd. Your not the only one.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraKindaGuy
You folks living in denial around here or something saying that was a good kill?????
I don't think anyone wanted to burst the bubble for him since he admitted fault, but hey, way to go!

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
The '05 GTO will get the LS2 engine standard and rated at 400hp.
Seems that real world GTO's and not ringers in the hands of GMHTP (or fairy tale spinners who claim to run 13.3's) average around 13.8-14.2's at 99-102mph with a 6-speed. I'd expect the additional 40-50rwhp to knock off ~4/10ths and add ~4mph, making them about as quick as the now defunct LS1 F-body.
S.

Users who are viewing this thread