GT500KR hood for 07-09?

KKOSH

Established Member
Does anyone have the Shelby Performance Parts fiberglass version? I have a 07 GT500 and love the look of that hood. Any opinions?

KKOSH

Established Member
The carbon fiber one is too rich for me. Looking at the fiberglass version which is about $1500. Any one have the Shelby fiberglass version or a different manufacturers?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Does anyone have the Shelby Performance Parts fiberglass version? I have a 07 GT500 and love the look of that hood. Any opinions?

Shelby Performance Parts sells a Super Snake hood, the KR hood has not been available to the general public, so that is why the price is high when you find one.

I have the Super Snake hood that was installed at Shelby Las Vegas as part of the upgrade to my car, it is the earlier version which is functional for both CAI (ram air) and heat extraction. The current Super Snake hood offered by SPP is functional for heat extraction, but non-functional for CAI.

I would guess that a correct original CAI functional Super Snake hood will get to be a little more pricey now that they are no longer available.

I recently opened a discussion on Team Shelby in the GT500KR forum about the KR hood, the hood is high priced as you have found, but one draw back is that some of the common S/C's that people install on their GT500's will not fit under that hood without cutting on the bottom side for clearance. To install a 2.8 KB under a GT500KR hood it requires the hood to be cut up on the bottom side and the engine to be lowered 1/2" according to a GT500KR owner on that forum. Lowering the engine is not such a big deal, but cutting on the bottom side of a $6K+ hood? <<That would be hard to swallow............but I have contemplated it for my Super Snake, just for a different hood look........Once the hood is cut for a 2.8 KB, I have been told that the 3.6LC will also fit.

There are aftermarket companies who sell similar Super Snake looking hoods in fiberglass.

R

Last edited:

Tmatt142

Established Member
The carbon fiber one is too rich for me. Looking at the fiberglass version which is about $1500. Any one have the Shelby fiberglass version or a different manufacturers?

You should also take into consideration when deciding between fiberglass and CF the amount of prep time for paint. There is far more work that has to be done to the fiberglass hoods than there is the CF hoods. CF hoods are meant to bolt up and be done, therefore all you need to do is scuff the clear on them so you can paint it. Fiberglass OTOH, requires many hours of prep work. Gel coats though nice, are not perfect for paint and require some working. Depending on who you talk to, as much as 20-30hrs worth of work to be ready for paint. That is not always the case but there have been instances of that many hours to make a fiberglass hood correct.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
You should also take into consideration when deciding between fiberglass and CF the amount of prep time for paint. There is far more work that has to be done to the fiberglass hoods than there is the CF hoods. CF hoods are meant to bolt up and be done, therefore all you need to do is scuff the clear on them so you can paint it. Fiberglass OTOH, requires many hours of prep work. Gel coats though nice, are not perfect for paint and require some working. Depending on who you talk to, as much as 20-30hrs worth of work to be ready for paint. That is not always the case but there have been instances of that many hours to make a fiberglass hood correct.

Since you have mentioned this.............there are some aftermarket companies who sell CF Super Snake hoods now, aren't there? and they are $1500 or less?

R

KKOSH

Established Member
I was mistaken on saying KR hood. Yes, the fiberglass SS hood is what I want. The Shelby one looks nice

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I was mistaken on saying KR hood. Yes, the fiberglass SS hood is what I want. The Shelby one looks nice

^^^It is a nice looking hood, but like I said, it is not CAI (ram air) functional, if that matters to you. Some buyers have been surprised when they receive the hood only to find that the front opening is not functional and only for looks.

R

Users who are viewing this thread