gt500 vs z28

shelbysvt

Established Member
Ok moderators close that zl1 vs gt500 thread it is stupid and pointless now we all know the zl1 sucks a$$.

This is the real thread that should have been made from the beginning.

The camaro is now 300 pounds lighter, has the LS7 in it, and god damn carbon ceramic brakes. How can they put carbon ceramic brakes on the camaro and keep it affordable? This car was 3 seconds faster than the zl1. It also has recaro seats.

Let the war begin.

2014 Chevy Camaro Z/28 is back! [w/video]

shelbysvt

Established Member
Cliff Notes:

Z28 wins at the road race tracks.
GT500 wins at the drag strip.

I wouldn't be so sure. They said at least 500hp. It will most likely have more. And it may be able to put it down better than the shelby. It is also now pretty much the same weight as the shelby.

The only thing I don't like are those butt ugly tail lights.

Kewlv8

Established Member
I wouldn't be so sure. They said at least 500hp. It will most likely have more. And it may be able to put it down better than the shelby. It is also now pretty much the same weight as the shelby.

Same weight as the GT500 and 162 Less HP. The Z28 drag runs will be in the high teens (2-3 ticks faster than a Boss).

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Isn't this going to cause mass shootings among those ZL1 owners that swear drag racing is no longer an important matrix of performance?

Heres a lighter naturally aspirated track camaro their zl1 can never be?

I see a lot of disgruntled owners having to decide if they want to trade in a new car, or accept they have a heavy supercharged track/strip compromise.

Marc

Established Member

I don't like the taillights either. :lol: And the wheels remind me of the PP Wheels on the new GT500. Actually I kind of like the looks of the car.

When they say "at least 500HP", yea of course, I could see them adding a few more ponies at final production...but, I doubt they are going to another 163PH to top the new Shelby.

Shhhh

Established Member
Isn't this going to cause mass shootings among those ZL1 owners that swear drag racing is no longer an important matrix of performance?

Heres a lighter naturally aspirated track camaro their zl1 can never be?

I see a lot of disgruntled owners having to decide if they want to trade in a new car, or accept they have a heavy supercharged track/strip compromise.

I feel kinda sorry for the zl1 owners. They were feed all these "facts" about being a track car and top of the line up ect...

Then GM comes out and builds a better track car the very next year.

shelbysvt

Established Member
I don't like the taillights either. :lol: And the wheels remind me of the PP Wheels on the new GT500. Actually I kind of like the looks of the car.

When they say "at least 500HP", yea of course, I could see them adding a few more ponies at final production...but, I doubt they are going to another 163PH to top the new Shelby.

Well they probably could squeeze I'd say 50 more HP at most. But really what it comes down to is suspension. If the Z28 can put the power down it could be as fast in a straight line as the shelby, and it is already definitely faster around a track.

I mean even if say the 0-60 is 3.7 and ours is 3.6, does it really matter if in a straight line it is .1 slower? Same with 1/4 mile. If the shelby does it at 11.6 and the Z28 will do it at 11.7 or 11.8. Does that really matter??? Hell no you can't feel the difference in your a$$ between a .1 second difference in acceleration.

I still like the look of the shelby better. But I like the side skirts they use. I wish someone would make cool looking side skirts for the shelby that aren't the boring roush ones. I'm still shocked this car has carbon ceramic rotors on it.

Last edited:

Kewlv8

Established Member
Well they probably could squeeze I'd say 50 more HP at most. But really what it comes down to is suspension. If the Z28 can put the power down it could be as fast in a straight line as the shelby, and it is already definitely faster around a track.

I mean even if say the 0-60 is 3.7 and ours is 3.6, does it really matter if in a straight line it is .1 slower? Same with 1/4 mile. If the shelby does it at 11.6 and the Z28 will do it at 11.7 or 11.8. Does that really matter??? Hell no you can't feel the difference in your a$$ between a .1 second difference in acceleration.

I still like the look of the shelby better. But I like the side skirts they use. I wish someone would make cool looking side skirts for the shelby that aren't the boring roush ones. I'm still shocked this car has carbon ceramic rotors on it.

You seem to be speculating on "best case" for the Z28 in terms of power and times (i.e. "at least 500" really means "550 HP" ;-). We know you are just giddy and excited, so carry on.

shelbysvt

Established Member
You seem to be speculating on "best case" for the Z28 in terms of power and times (i.e. "at least 500" really means "550 HP" ;-). We know you are just giddy and excited, so carry on.

Lol. The only reason is because now I wonder what the performance corvette will be like and priced at if even a camaro can have this kind of stuff on it.

But ok estimate 500-550. 550 it will be close and anything below that will just increase the gap as far as the shelby winning in a straight line.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
The LS7/Z28 combo is at the mercy and limitations of the MM6 TR6060. It's gonna be close but, 505hp/470tq might pretty close to the top.

Everything is based on what Chevy says which is mostly bullshit anyway. 3 seconds faster than the ZL1? At most tracks, that's faster than the outgoing Z06 so I'm gonna have to call bullshit. If its the Ring well, they can make up whatever they want there.

shelbysvt

Established Member
The LS7/Z28 combo is at the mercy and limitations of the MM6 TR6060. It's gonna be close but, 505hp/470tq might pretty close to the top.

Everything is based on what Chevy says which is mostly bullshit anyway. 3 seconds faster than the ZL1? At most tracks, that's faster than the outgoing Z06 so I'm gonna have to call bullshit. If its the Ring well, they can make up whatever they want there.

505 is what the zo6 makes now. You don't think they could squeeze more out of it? Maybe through a tune, exhaust, other things?

hognutz

Established Member
I won't lie this is the car I wanted them to make that I never though they would.

Carbon brakes, lightened, higher reving platform.

now for the bad. the hood setup looks way worse than a ZL1 but supposedly does reduce lift. the rear of the car I am not sold on yet.

no published price yet though so it is hard to comment. I do like the mag ride alot around town though.

if it backs up that 3 seconds a lap faster than a ZL1 this thing is a pretty serios track perfromer. They were not bs'ing about the 1le and I though that would not track as well is it does at that HP level.

that would litteral rival the Z06 and GTR on a road coarse. most likely getting smashed in strait line by GTR, Z06, and GT500 though.

Last edited:

mullens

Established Member
AC optional? Only one speaker? No trunk insulation? Sorry, too bare bones for me. This car will only attract a small segment. How many of us buy a new car strictly for track use? The Boss is an awesome track car out of the box and has all the amenities without stripping the car down.

Just_a_car_guy

Established Member
Unless the new Z/28 gets traction from a dig like a MOFO and can launch at stupid high RPMS, I don't think you guys have a whole lot to worry about in the 1/4 mile. I wouldn't expect this car to be any quicker than the 12 flat the ZL1 is capable of running in the 1/4.

This is a track car.

The 1LE already bests the standard BOSS, and gives the BOSS LS a run for its money on the track.

This car is going to stomp both of them. Nothing in the form of Mustang will dream about running with it on a track. You guys currently own straight line. Camaro owns track.

Yes I agree that most of us would rather own the straight line than the track, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I'm saying $49,995 MSRP

Up to 53,995 loaded (Air conditioning, Tire jack, 2 speakers and all the weight saving stuff)

NOT COUNTING GG TAX!

I said before the ZL1 was a $45,000 car brand new, that puts this about 3 grand more.

Last edited:

bpmurr

Established Member
The rear diaper is back! Apparently GM didn't see all those posts about the 2010-2012 mustang rear.

Chevrolet-Camaro_Z28_2014_photo_04.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread