Gt500 Timing chain cover on Aussie boss 260

wheels3191

Established Member
Hi, I'm Superchargeing my 5.4l boss 260 and I'd like to run the gt500 pulley system.

From looking at pics on Google the gt500 cover is very similar to mine and from what I can tell i'd only have to buy a gt500 a/c 8 rib pulley and power steering pump or go electrical to make it work.

I don't have access to a gt500 cover, so if anyone could messure a gt500 cover and distance between the mounting holes or even better knows if it will fit please comment.

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my HTC 2Q551 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Unless someone has an engine stripped and on a stand, I don't see anyone being able to accomplish your request with a running engine in the car. There's just too much stuff in the way to get any sort of accurate measurement. You do realize the GT500 has two separate belt systems? One belt drives the alternator, water pump, and if applicable, a power steering unit. The other drives the supercharger and air conditioning compressor, which is a 10 rib system. If this engine is a 4v engine, it should be interchangable. The GT500 cover likely has additional bosses for the idler pulleys, and a separate tensioner for the supercharger belt over DOHC 5.4s that were naturally aspirated. I'm not sure if this will help, but the red belt is the forward mounted belt for the supercharger system. It would drive the belt with a specific GT500 balancer.

Belt routing.jpg

The later cars with EPAS use a smaller idler pulley in the power steering pump location and uses a shorter accessory belt.

wheels3191

Established Member
You do realize the GT500 has two separate belt systems?
Yes, I do realize as I want to run it on a supercharged application as mentioned in my first post.
My engine in question the Boss260 is a 5.4l w/cobra r DOHC heads as released from the factory by Ford Australia.
I'm well versed in how the system works as I have done a lot of research before this post. And understand that measuring an engine in a car correctly would be very hard and I wouldn't expect anyone to do that.
But there's more likelihood of someone in the US being in the position to measure a cover than here in Aus. Also, I would have to buy a cover from the US so I'm also hoping anyone who could measure a cover may want to sell it but I'm not holding my breath LOL.

Regards Wheels.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If the head and block castings are the same, there's probably a good chance it will bolt up. That's sort of the whole concept of modular engines. However, there are differences in the primary cam drive, sprockets and chain. The GT500 uses a different valve cover that won't fit over the primary cam sprocket on essentially all other 5.4 4v engines. However, the valve covers that use the larger cam sprocket should still bolt up. The larger chain drive can be retrofitted to the GT500, but the earlier valve covers have to be used. Those are the basic differences I know of regarding covers, plus what I posted before on the two belt drives.

Users who are viewing this thread