gt500 swap

hot1le

Established Member
Hi everyone. I have a few questions about my swap. I have a 2009 mustang gt that I recently destroyed the engine in, so I bought a complete gt500 engine. It came with the engine harness and thats it. I have done some research and understand that I need the smart junction box PCM and main body harness. My question is when I asked the dealer about the main harness they had no clue what I needed. He said that there is several harnesses that control the body. Do I need the dash harness? If so does the dash harness start at the PCM? Also does the gt500 use a different radiator than the standard gt?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
check out S197forum.com a few guys have done write ups on this swap

armycook1981

Established Member
follow what stock jock said.. search BOOSHEY i believe his name is hes done a number of the swaps. .

you should first find out what all you have on the block ..
Second YOUR stock radiator will work IM still running the V6 oem one.

Your gonna need the ECU, PCM harness. H/E along with all its hoses. intercooler pump , res tank, etc.. alot of little shit.. Are you going with a T6060 ...

you shoudl start making a list and verifying everything ..

Your cluster will be fine as I retained the stock 120 mph v6 cluster. trying to think off the top of my head.

How much did you get your set up for I know booshey has his full set up for 13k and hell even install it for free if you ship your car to him or drive there he takes about a week i think

ivandrea

Established Member
I have the stock H/E with mounting bracket and the stock reservoir for sale. Perfect condition no issues. Boxed up and ready to go. Send me a PM or email.

hot1le

Established Member
I bought the engine and engine harness from Blow-By racing for 6500. It has 5000 miles on it. The only thing that the engine is missing is the oil cooler, which blow-by said wouldnt be a problem, but I didnt know that the alternator mounted to it so I guess im gonna have to figure that out too.

armycook1981

Established Member
Yeah lower driver side for the alt. Ur gonna need ac lines aswell if I recall .. $6500 must be with no tranny which is what I basically paid for the mine after selling the tr6060 for 2500$..

I'm telling yeah start making alist or ull forget what crap u will need.
Cheapest route is buy the oem take off parts fro
People who have upgraded those items off not then just buy the upgrades if u have a slight clue as to what ur goals are..

I bought my gt500 fuel system from downs ford in NJ and all upgraded parts I'd Afco / intake / pulleys etc from HUrrican perfect out of Fl they have the cheapest prices I could find and I shopped around

Boozshey

Established Member
Yup, I've done 3 swap and working on my 4th right now.

Many have said you don't need a PCM and you don't need the body harness or dash harness. However, a lot of changes will need to be made by not having them. I know for a fact that when BBR was trying to sell this motor they were making the same claims, that none of the above was needed just the motor. Whether that was a sales tactic or not on their part I don't know. But if it were me, they would be on the phone explaining to me how that's accomplished.

First off... What 09, Premium or Deluxe? That makes a difference for the traction control module...

Second... You don't need new A/C lines, the A/C lines didn't change until the dual climate control came out in 2010. Then a lot of things changed. And the GT and GT500 use the same ones.

Third... what I would want to finish this swap. Heat Exchanger and pump, all the hoses, a true GT500 radiator (it has a bigger lower opening), 08+ body harness (dash isn't needed unless you want to run the SVT cluster), fuel pumps, second, fuel pump module, PCM, SJB, front fuse box, traction control module, tr6060, drive shaft, heat exchanger tank.

The 08+ body harness is needed in your case, the 07 uses a different door harness. So if you tried to adapt it, your windows and locks wouldn't work...

That's all I can think of right now... I am sure there is more...

Last edited:

hot1le

Established Member
Ok when you say 08+ body harness you mean 08+ gt500 body harness correct? I have an 09 premium GT. I have found a stock H/E and reservior. I also got a used C&L CAI and Metco Idler Pulley. When I went to the dealer they show the Body harness to be several small harnesses and asked which part I needed. I am guessing that I need the part that goes from the SJB to the PCM? Anyways Thanks for the help so far.

Boozshey

Established Member
Well in 2010 they made the body harness into individual ones.

In 07-09 the main body harness makes a big H. It goes down both sides of the car, crosses over the dash, and then goes up both sides of the engine bay through the fender-wells.

Each door has it's own harness. The Dash has it's own harness. The engine has it's own harness. Other than that the main body harness is all wired together. I believe I saw one for sale over at fordgt500.com Wanted like $400. It might be the best way to go. Ford might show each individual harness that is taped together at the factory. I don't know though.

Is the premium the more expensive one out of the deluxe and premium?

hot1le

Established Member
The premium is the more expensive one which is what I have. Mine has the ambiant lighting and heated seats. Oh and Im not using a manual trans, I have a 4r70w with a PI billet 3200 convertor.

Last edited:

hot1le

Established Member
OK figured out the alternator mount issue. A company called sullivan performance products sells an alternator mount that will allow me to mount it in the stock position without having to spend 1200 bucks on the stock oil cooler adapter plate. Then I will just run a remote oil filter kit.

Boozshey

Established Member
The premium is the more expensive one.

Okay well that is good news and bad news. Bad cause, the ambient lighting isn't wired into all of the harnesses. So you have to be sure the harness that you get had ambient lighting wrap in it. This is where Ford might be getting all the individual harnesses from... There isn't a catch all harness like they had in the 05 GT's with the mycolor. Ford skimped out in Mid 06 and started to only adapt the harness to the features of the car to save costs.

Good news is the traction control module that you have "should" be the same as the one you have. That is located in the front driver side ABS block where the harness plugs into.

Boozshey

Established Member
I could be confusing the ac lines with another set Of lines but then again mine started life as a early v6..

I'd have to look at the v6 lines. They may very well be different. I just know for sure the GT and GT500 are the same until 2010.

armycook1981

Established Member
Bruce, yeah i was under the car i have new A/C lines ran so that means they were swapped out. and there was another line tht looked to be new as the parts tag was on it still nice and readable the car is 6 years old .. so everythign else would be off and unreadable by now so that how i know shits new LOL..

SaleenSR

Established Member
Hello, I have a few questions for you shelby swap gurus. Planning on purchasing a 2011 GT500 motor. It is going to include the engine, dash, body wiring, and ecu. Will the motor use my 2012 5.0 premium stock k-member?

Are the fuel lines different? His car had navigation and my only had sync.

Boozshey

Established Member
You can use the k-member from the 5.0 and the fuel line is the same up to the firewall right under the brake booster.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
I have a gt500 sjb for sale From my 07... Works perfect just need to be program to your car I replaced it with a new 1 thinking something was wrong with it and it was not the sjb. $100 if u want it

Users who are viewing this thread