GT500 Passes smog in CA (posting for a friend)

Papaw

Established Member
My friend has a 2009 Shelby GT500 that was due for it's biannual smog check. His car has the KR 113mm open element intake, 2.5in pulley and and aftermarket tune, all else is stock. He was worried about the tune being flagged and that he would be sent to a ref.
He decided to try to smog it as is, without returning everything to stock and it passed no problem. Now understand that the tune does not turn off any of the smog equipment or monitors, the exhaust is stock manifolds and cats, no O2 delete so I can't say how much he would be able to get away with before failing but I can say with certainty that an aftermarket tune by itself does not automatically fail a vehicle smog check in California.
Hope this helps.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
My friend has a 2009 Shelby GT500 that was due for it's biannual smog check. His car has the KR 113mm open element intake, 2.5in pulley and and aftermarket tune, all else is stock. He was worried about the tune being flagged and that he would be sent to a ref.
He decided to try to smog it as is, without returning everything to stock and it passed no problem. Now understand that the tune does not turn off any of the smog equipment or monitors, the exhaust is stock manifolds and cats, no O2 delete so I can't say how much he would be able to get away with before failing but I can say with certainty that an aftermarket tune by itself does not automatically fail a vehicle smog check in California.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for that feed back great News to hear that.

buddha93

Established Member
In most states, the key is to NOT turn off any of the monitors or rear 02's. It's all about the "monitor readiness". After that you may or may not have to worry about an actual sniffer test and visual inspection. I'm in the the boat that a lot of guys are in with 2 monitors not going ready. Car would probably pass a sniffer if needed, but all they care about in MO is the readiness thing.

SCALILOU

Established Member
In California you just need to pass 6 readiness codes turning green while plugged into obd2 port. You also need to pass visual, but most techs don't k ow what they're looking at or don't care. It's really not that hard to pass, just don't turn off 02s in the tune, they're part of the the 6 that need to turn green. I bought a $10 readiness code reader on Amazon and check them before I go smog test just to make sure I'm not wasting time going

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cesar24

Established Member
This is interesting that he passed with the tune still in the car. I've had my 03 cobra for 9 years now and it passed smog with the tune every single time except the last time that it got flagged. I wonder if they're just targeting cobras for now out here in CA and flagging them since a lot of them are heavily modded and they're starting to catch on.

XP900

Established Member
Each state has different processes and rules...in NY I have never had a smog test on any of my vehicles and only the monitor readiness appears to matter and you are allowed one to be in a not ready state and the machine will still pass it. I always precheck mine. More than one failing and you have to spend $750 (or did they raise it again??) trying to fix it before they will let it pass for just one year.

Users who are viewing this thread