GT500 or Boss 302?

scottq60

I have the opportunity to trade my '12 GT500 for a '13 school bus yellow Boss 302. My 500 is black/red stripes, SVTPP, glass back roof and leather Recaros and 6200 miles. The Boss has the Recaros, Torsen diff and 8500 miles. It also has JLT carbon CAI, Roush axle-back and has been lowered with Ford Racing springs. I know that my Shelby (which is bone stock) is worth ~$8k more. What deal should I look to get if I decide to trade. What would be "fair"? This is at the local Ford dealer where I bought my 500 and many other Fords.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Your problem might be that your car is officially worth about the same as a 13 Boss. Not sure where you got your 8k more number from. Look it up...

Last edited:

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I would trade only for a brand new Boss 302. They are still out there. I remember seeing new ones around 40,xxx

1FASFKR

Established Member
Well you can get a Boss for mid to low 30's and a GT500 equipped like his is $40-45K.

I agree $40-45k retail. If I were to trade a 12 GT500 for a Boss it would be a 13 Black LS. You can find one for mid 40s to 50k. It might require some travel but their out there. The Boss is a great freekin car. Having both would be ideal and a slice of heaven. The LS will appreciate alot in the future I predict. My Ruby...probably not so much lol. It remains to be seen and I wouldn't bet on it. However, a 13 Boss...will skyrocket in 10 years imo.

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
Time will tell, but the Boss is pretty special, and there will always be value in this model. Ford will sell a ton of the new style Mustangs, but they only made about 8k Boss Mustangs.

scottq60

Your problem might be that your car is officially worth about the same as a 13 Boss. Not sure where you got your 8k more number from. Look it up...

I did look it up - check NADA clean retail for each - My Shelby = 49,800, the 13 Boss = 41,025, so it's actually MORE than $8k. That being said, I realize not everyone uses NADA, but I've found it's the most accurate source for comparison. Nothing is worth any more than someone is willing to pay for it.

"officially worth..." - who's the "official"???

IamRacerX

Established Member
I did look it up - check NADA clean retail for each - My Shelby = 49,800, the 13 Boss = 41,025, so it's actually MORE than $8k. That being said, I realize not everyone uses NADA, but I've found it's the most accurate source for comparison. Nothing is worth any more than someone is willing to pay for it.

"officially worth..." - who's the "official"???
I came up with both cars retail in the 38-39 range on edmund.com.....

scottq60

I came up with both cars retail in the 38-39 range on edmund.com.....

Interesting - I just looked on Edmunds.com - the Boss is worth $42,257 (certified used car). You're correct, in that Edmunds prices them at about the same, HOWEVER, Edmunds doesn't allow you to add the $4000 SVTPP option or the leather Recaros and they only add $391 for the glass roof...check out NADA - they allow you to add those items.

guarnibl

Established Member
Nada is worthless. Dealer is going to offer you manheim value. My guess is you have a lot of people waiting for the 2015's now -- probably going to be difficult to get what you're wanting unless you go private party and take the 2-3 months to sell it.

Last edited:

scottq60

not worried about it...I'm happy with my 500. I'd like to have a Boss to go with it, but decided not to get rid of my 500 for one. And, as to "NADA being worthless"...my great uncle had a Ford dealership for more than 50 years. My current dealership has given me NADA (or better) more than a few times. Depends on many factors.

IamRacerX

Established Member
I see your values there... I just looked it up when I saw you said 8k more for a 12 GT500... To me that didnt sound right. I always look up values on edmunds as NADA is always way high.

Drive a Boss if you get a chance. I was planning on a 13 GT500 until I drove a Boss. Way more fun to drive IMO. GT500s are awesome cars, the Boss has a lighter more nimble feel. Also the Boss is quicker in a straight line then most people give it credit for. There is way more to it than a "semi built GT"

Last edited:

scottq60

I see your values there... I just looked it up when I saw you said 8k more for a 12 GT500... To me that didnt sound right. I always look up values on edmunds as NADA is always way high.

Drive a Boss if you get a chance. I was planning on a 13 GT500 until I drove a Boss. Way more fun to drive IMO. GT500s are awesome cars, the Boss has a lighter more nimble feel. Also the Boss is quicker in a straight line then most people give it credit for. There is way more to it than a "semi built GT"

I feel that way about KBB...I never use it. I used to always use Edmunds but I don't like that they don't allow you to accurately add the options.
I drove that '13 Boss yesterday and LOVED it! It was a HOOT! The Roush axle-back really had a bark when you stepped on it. Yeah...I cracked up up with the "semi built GT" comment too...a "low information" statement, to say the least.

Darth Vapor

Established Member
Both great cars, both completely different driving experience. I traded my Shelby for my Boss and yes it was an '08, but still a great ride. It's all about what you want. I hate to say it but Shelby's are almost a dime a dozen on the roads these days. I love the rarity of my Boss especially the Grabber Blue being even more rare. She makes me smile every time I go into the garage.

As far as trade-ins, it's a crap shoot half the time. You can never go by retail and I hate to say it, most options don't help. It's becoming more about what similar model cars are going for at auction, especially in the area. In the end, it's all about making money.

Users who are viewing this thread