GT500 oil pan gasket installation issues

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
I'm checking fitment of my GT500 oil pan gasket to my oil pan and it doesn't line up when I sit in place. My feeling is that the factory gasket did and so should this one in order not to leak. Where the gasket seems to have the most trouble is at the back of the pan where the lip of the windage portion of the gasket goes down. Here are some pics. My question is: will this gasket leak and is there a way to remedy this? What is anyone's prior experience with the GT500 gasket?

Thanks

IMG_2239.JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

01yellercobra

Established Member
If the o-ring is contacting the flat part of the pan and the block it should be ok. Is that a scraper or just a windage tray?

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Is that the 13/14 500 windage tray? I know MMR sells that part but "modifies" it to fit our cars. Not sure exactly what they do...

There was a thread a while ago about someone claiming it was the stock part with the Ford part number ground off. MMR said they modified it but wouldn't elaborate. Doesn't help much but all I know.

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
Is that the 13/14 500 windage tray? I know MMR sells that part but "modifies" it to fit our cars. Not sure exactly what they do...

There was a thread a while ago about someone claiming it was the stock part with the Ford part number ground off. MMR said they modified it but wouldn't elaborate. Doesn't help much but all I know.

It is an MMR. I was told they sell the same gasket. I didn't know it was modified. There were no installation instructions that came with it. Your right they did grind the number and Ford logo off so I don't know what it is exactly. I can't see that they performed any modifications to it.

IMG_2245[1].JPG

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
I'd reach-out to them but this is the thread I was referencing. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1118932-MMR-Issue

I love that thread you sent me too. I think this forum must receive a lot of dough from MMR to keep letting them advertise their shitty products. They have ****ed a lot of people over to include myself. I just decided not to complain because there is really nothing I can do at this point. I literally had the same problem as the guy in the thread and posted a thread of it too. My oil pan was bent up like that one. It look like they just didn't weld it in a jig. Instead of going ape shit, I just ordered another one. The powder coat was actually chipped in the second one I received. I had already bought $3000 worth of parts. Some of which I now know will not work with what I want to do. I just didn't know it. I was new to this particular engine. These guys will just sell you anything you want. After I spoke with them on the return of the pan and some of the other parts, I knew it was doubtful that I would be able to return them. I didn't specifically ask about them but I could just tell by the demeanor of the sales man and attitude that it was too late. I eventually just bought my shit through Summit and other online vendors and "quality" sources such as Cobra Engineering instead of taking the budget "we'll sell you any cheap bullshit though we know you'll have to replace that shit" route.

Back to the subject of the pan. I ended up creating a cover for the pan out of plywood and filling it full of paint stripper from Sherwin Williams. I shook it around and scrapped all the paint out. The way the baffling is installed in the pan you can't get to the sump easily. I ended up taking an inspection mirror, and a wire brush to get all the rest of the paint out. It took hours. Afterwards, I had to clean the rust out after rinsing the pan out with water. For that I used vinegar. The rest little amount of rust left over was cleaned off with WD-40. The vinegar cleans rust so well that the pan begins to rust again but not as bad. Once all the powder coat was stripped off I found metal burrs jutting out around the welds. in the sump. They don't debur the stock cut pan after cutting it for the larger sump. One other thing, the oil plug drain is about a half inch off the bottom of the pan. Needless to say but when people are continuing say that MMR parts are shit, it is probably the truth. Forums should be a place to go get honest feed back from people with the occassional intervention of outside businesses. I understand that MMR helps this forum make its living, but when you continue to let them advertise on your site it may say something about you. Of course it really doesn't matter to me anymore because I usually ask about 10 ten different people continue to do research before I make a decision on any of this stuff and I probably wouldn't be like that if it wasn't for MMR. See there's a positive light.

Moral of the story.
"Don't buy anything from ****ers that are trying to sell you shit." - Accufab Master

Here's a picture after the work was done.

View attachment 74150

Attachments

• IMG_2238[1].JPG
    IMG_2238[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 157

Users who are viewing this thread