GT500 in the end is it worth it?

Ferrcad

Established Member
Hey Members,

I have a 2014 GT500 Convertible on order but as of this post no VIN assignment. The price is not a problem if you look at from the stand point of wether I can afford it or not, which I can. I have gone back and forth regarding this car and have at times thought about just canceling the order. I guess part of me just can't seem to justify spending almost $70,000 for a Mustang. I have owned probably at least six Mustang from 1986 to my last new GT in 1996. Since then I have purchased more luxary cars like Acura and Infinity's. It was never hard to spend the money purchasing the luxary car as it has been for the Shelby.

I guess my question is if anyone here has experienced the same type of anxiety of spending this much money on a Mustang. The other quesition is wether those that were on the fence and now own the car are you glad you made the decision. I think the hardest part of this whole car purchase is the leap of faith you take of purchasing something that most of us have never even test driven before agreeing to order and purchase.

Sorry for my rambiling but just was wondering if anyone has buyers remorse... Is it to much power to even enjoy driving? I ask for honest answers for someone who is truly on the fence...

Thanks in advance for any insight... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
It's an awesome car if you can foot the bill. If you are going to spend this much on a car at all and want muscle, this is it.

Turbo mach1

Established Member
Just drive one it will answer all questions....

I've had;
z06
m6
M3
911 turbo 997
SL63

This is by far my favorite.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I bought a new 2013 GT500 and had to wait 8 months to get it. I hated the wait, but love the car. This is the first new car I have bought since 1987 and the first car I have ever bought that I didn't need for transportation, I bought it simply because I wanted it and I have no regrets. As far as the money is concerned, the most expensive vehicle I have bought up until the GT500, was my 1995 F250 PS for $19,000 in 1997. I still have the truck and it is my DD, so the thought of spending $65,000 on a Mustang was on my mind. I figured that I am not getting any younger and figured that the purchase was a now or never proposition for me. By the way, it is not a Mustang, it is a 662 HP Shelby GT500 with a factory warranty.

In the end, you are the one buying the car and if you are having buyers remorse, now is time to back out.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Is it to much power to even enjoy driving? I ask for honest answers for someone who is truly on the fence...

Thanks in advance for any insight... :thumbsup:

The car is as powerful as you want it to be. You can cruise along at 35 mph in 3rd gear without it lugging or get nuts and soil your pants. Once the clutch gets broken in and you get use to the throttle response, the car is a pleasure to drive.

NametoShowOther

Established Member
Had a BMW m3 on order. Drove the 2011 shelby and cancelled the BMW order. Was driving BMW at the time. 2013 r even better

Chance42

Established Member
I'm kind of on the same fence myself, I'm trying to decide between a c7 z51 once they release all the specs and prices on them and a 2014 Gt500. They are 2 different cars in the looks department, imo, one is muscle the other is a sports car look. That and the backseat vs no backseat. Which isn't a big deal for me, but it will be a daily driver for me... and sometimes I have to take my 2 dobermans to the vet lol.

So I can kind of feel your pain, I have said the same thing "I'm not sure I want to drop 60+ on a mustang". The vette has the better looks imo (but that's subjective), but the brute power of the gt500 and the ease of modding it... damn damn damn.

smrtasp

Established Member
I came from a 07 M5 and was looking for a 2013 M5 to replace it. After looking at a few other cars like a CLS63 and M6 I decided I could get the Shelby and a 2015 F150 for less than those with room for mods on each. I'm actually talking to Shelby American about a super snake conversion. I have 0 regrets. Yes they are hard to compare but the new mustangs have decent convenience options and the Shelby is rare. For me fast and rare is the combo and I'm happy with the decision.

SteveWK

Established Member
Same experience as Snoopy.

I will turn 50 this year and this is my third car - lol. I keep my cars and drive them into the ground. I think this is by far the most exciting car I have ever driven, especially in cold air. It just hauls ass. The engine in this car is second to none.

I can understand your apprehension about spending big bucks on a Mustang. I had the same thoughts. I was going to buy a 5.0 and mod it, but after totaling all of those aftermarket parts up, it came close to the base price of a GT500 and all bets were off at that point.

There really isn't anything like this car and I think you will like it. I see you are from PA. Too bad I'm not closer or I would let you drive mine. Just the looks you get from people is worth the price.

Steve

Last edited:

Turbo mach1

Established Member
I came from a 07 M5 and was looking for a 2013 M5 to replace it. After looking at a few other cars like a CLS63 and M6 I decided I could get the Shelby and a 2015 F150 for less than those with room for mods on each. I'm actually talking to Shelby American about a super snake conversion. I have 0 regrets. Yes they are hard to compare but the new mustangs have decent convenience options and the Shelby is rare. For me fast and rare is the combo and I'm happy with the decision.

Sounds like we have the similar taste.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I can't tell you if the money will be worth it to YOU or not, but I can certainly say it's not too much power to enjoy on the street. It's much more docile than people think.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
This is my third new car, with the other two being a '89 Mustang LX 5.0 and a '97 Mustang Cobra. Prior to the Shelby, the Cobra was the most expensive vehicle I'd ever purchased (at $27K). The only other vehicle I considered this time around was a BMW M3.

I have ZERO regrets with my decision. The GT500 is, by far, the most powerful (and fun) vehicle I've ever owned. Friends with other performance cars (including Corvette, M3, and S5) have all been thoroughly impressed with the Shelby's performance, handling, and styling. As Steve said, the car attracts a lot of attention everywhere you go. Note that I briefly considered doing a Super Snake conversion, but decided against it for a few reasons. I was less than impressed with SA's responsiveness to my requests for information. I don't like the wheel and exhaust choices for the 2013. I don't care for some of the "exclusivity mandates" (e.g., inability to modify certain aspects of the car to my liking and the use of some kind of "owner modified" black mark in the Registry if you do change anything) about which I've read.

In the end, you're the only one who knows what you want and whether you'll be happy having spent $60K on a "Mustang". As Snoopy said, however, NOW is the time to pull the plug if you're not sure.

Superhawk2002

Established Member
I was on the fence on simply deciding which car to buy. Having an 09 GT500 prior to owning the 13, I wasn't too worried about the test drive. I kept going back to the 69K price tag (fully loaded). I test drove several cars over the 7 month wait on my car. I just about said screw the Shelby for a Z06 and even a (couch cough) Porsche 911 TT.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with the Shelby. It was worth the wait. The mods on the car make it incredible. I am genuinely surprised how many people recognize it as a Shelby. Pretty much everything you could ask for.

Pointby

Established Member
I love my GT500 and have only slight remorse. Nothing wrong with the Shelby at all, I just don't know if it was worth $20k more than a BOSS. My car is a weekend cruiser and road course work. The BOSS is just as rare, sounds just as good and is only a little slower. On top of that it will be better on the track.

With all that said, I am vain enough to say that I enjoy telling people I have a Shelby. I enjoy the heritage behind the car and the looks on people's face when i tell them about ungodly power it produces.

I had a 2002 911 turbo before this. Modified it was just as fast as the mustang, but no where near as fun and so much more money to maintain and modify. It had a $100k interior that I miss and a great suspension with all wheel drive. But I live in the rust belt and love driving around in an American car that is fast, fun, under warranty and can still hold my kids in the back and a bag of golf clubs in the trunk.

Worth the money? Oh yeah.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
A little bit of buyer's remorse is normal on every large ticket purchase. The deal you scored on the car is phenomenal, you should feel very good. Most of us have paid MSRP and you were able to save thousands. By the time your car comes in it will be prime convertible season and you could drive the car for a month or so and if you don't like it sell it for what you paid for it.

The road test for this car has been a front page feature on every major magazine. It's also been featured on Top Gear UK, Motor Week, and Jay Leno's garage. It's one of the first handful of American production cars to hit 200 off the showroom floor and the last car that Carroll Shelby himself was directly involved in the development of. It's the best of the breed for the 05-14 Mustangs and will always hold its value as a result. The thing was released with the world's highest hp production V8! A title which will stand until the new ZR1 and GT500 debut in 1-2 years. Just watch the Top Gear episode and look at all the Europeans gawking over the car. Only in America could you ever purchase such an amazing car at such an affordable price, truly supercar levels of performance. This car represents one of, if not the pinnacle(s) of the muscle car era.

WI-2014

Established Member
I can relate to anxiety during my wait. Not only had I never driven a Shelby before, I had never driven a Mustang of any kind. I have never even owned a Ford product either so this was all new territory for me. My 2014 convertible was delivered earlier this month - we wrote the check - and I drove it for the first time out of the dealership. Remorse = 0%! I usually fret over purchases even after the fact for a bit but not in this case. It is a GREAT vehicle to drive and is a knockout looks-wise and sound-wise too. Good God - I love this thing!!!! Ride out the storm, take delivery, and if you still regret it - sell it. With limited numbers finding a buyer will be a snap. Good luck!

huggytree

Established Member
for $70k its a bargain for the performance

you could get a used zr1 for $85-90k
or a used GTR

both would beat your gt500....but they'd be used

you wouldnt get a convertible either

i was in the same boat as you....i wanted a convertible and bought my gt500 w/o even seeing one in person....i test drove a GT convertible the day before just to make sure i would fit into the car....i bought the car out of State just on the reputation alone

Ferrcad

Established Member
Thanks guys for all the responses... They are much appreciated... I have for the last couple of weeks been trying to find a GT500 on a lot that I could drive but as you probably already know that is not happening unless you buy. I even have tried to find some close in a used 2013 GT500 and nothing is really close 100 + miles one way for a test drive is a little crazy. The best I have been able to do is sit in one with Recaro seats to test my fat ass fit and all was well so they got ordered. When you go to a lot that has one they are always on the showroom floor and your lucky to even be able to touch let alone get in it which I totaly understand. I do realize that the deal that I have is crazy for a car like this but it still makes you have second thoughts because after taxes, doc fees and title transfer it is still $67,500 bucks. As I said before, the money is not the problem it's the unknown of whether I will like the car after I have and drive it. You know once it there on the lot it's mine and that is what concerns me. Everything I have ever purchased I was able to drive before hand, either the exact car or one with a different color etc...

Thanks...

Last edited:

huggytree

Established Member
just remember yea its a Mustang body, but all the mechanics are NOT normal Mustang parts

i was going to order a 2014, but found the exact color combo i wanted across the country, but with a few extra options(in the end i like the extra options).....a few years ago i ordered a car before and waited 4 months...only to cancel the order after it arrived because of a issue with the partictular car...at that point i got frustrated, drove to IL and bought a different car a few days later......i wouldnt order a car again

make sure to tell them not to drill for front license plates

whats the color combo? why couldnt you find it???

ive seen pretty much every combo out there in the past 2 months of searching

jbs$

Established Member
Life is filled with uncertainty, you only get one shot, buy the car, you will enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread