GT500 IC/HE Pump Comparison

Federico Garza

Established Member
So our good friend over @ dept of boost did some test awhile back with the bosch pumps:

"Jason Etter
Administrador
rqF0i3vZtvw.png

I've tested that with the Bosh pumps. Running them parallel and in series and the results weren't worth the trouble, packaging, results. They are 6.5gpm stand alone. 8gpm parallel. And 8.5gpm in series" = 30% increase in flow from running them in series.

He states that the 13/14 pumps moves 8.5 gpm on the stock system so using the same percentage (in series) = 11 gpm with twin pumps, im definately giving this a try, I can procure the extra pump , bracket,hoses, elbows connector and relay for about $325 + my own labor.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It depends on how you mounted the pump. You can trap air in the impeller cavity if the pump motor is higher than the lines feeding it. It's easy enough to burp by slightly removing the inlet or outlet hose and letting any air escape. Same goes for the heat exchanger.

The pump is mounted similar to the stock unit. The hose orientations are exactly the same. There's no air in the system. At least in the tubes. I think the issue is what someone else previously mentioned about the coolant in the tank itself foaming up because the coolant coming into the tank is hitting things pretty hard. I have a True Forge tank and the inlet stream hits the wall on the other side of the tank. Think of what a hose does when you spray it at the side of your house. That's what's happening in my tank. I think at the very least I would need to baffle the tank to calm down the movement.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Perhaps add more coolant to the tank, so the coolant doesn't aerate shooting out the inlet from the intercooler.

Stangra

Established Member
So our good friend over @ dept of boost did some test awhile back with the bosch pumps:

"Jason Etter
Administrador
View attachment 1693351
I've tested that with the Bosh pumps. Running them parallel and in series and the results weren't worth the trouble, packaging, results. They are 6.5gpm stand alone. 8gpm parallel. And 8.5gpm in series" = 30% increase in flow from running them in series.

He states that the 13/14 pumps moves 8.5 gpm on the stock system so using the same percentage (in series) = 11 gpm with twin pumps, im definately giving this a try, I can procure the extra pump , bracket,hoses, elbows connector and relay for about $325 + my own labor.
I'm not sure you can expect to see the same percentage of increase in flow. If the pump capacity is undermatched to the rest of the system plumbing then doubling up will make an improvement, but at some point it's no longer the main weakness and gains from doubling up or using a higher capacity pump will not be as dramatic. The pump/s are still trying to move that coolant through the limited size of the hoses and restrictions at the I/C ports. Opening up to 1" or 1.25" hose and I/C ports will make a huge difference though. You can see in the link below that even D.O.B's big POWA pump only produces 10 gpm with .75" hose & fittings, but same pump moves 30 gmp when opened up to 1.25" plumbing.

https://www.departmentofboost.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Pump-Flow-Chart-GT500.pdf

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread