GT500 heat exchanger on a 2003 cobra

Wonder

Established Member
This topic might have been covered already but I would like an updated version of it. I recently have focused on buying cooling mods for my cobra knowing that cooling is a big thing for these cars and I wanted to start with my heat exchanger, ive seen people swap the stock one for a gt500 one and I wanted to do the same so I bought the crash bar necessary for the swap but I am just stuck on looking for the exchanger itself because when looking for it I see two types of brand which are PLM and AFCO the prices are big in my opinion one being at 595 and the AFCO at around 900 and also I see some with fans and with out so I wanted to know which one would be the best to buy for cooling?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have an Afco dual pass on my car and I'm happy with it. It's the Cobra version, not the GT500 version. So take that for what it's worth.

My opinion on fans is if you're planning on drag racing a lot they're not a bad idea. They'll help cool things down between rounds. Unless you're going to run ice. But if it's a cruiser don't bother. I installed a heat exchanger with fans on a buddies car and he said while cruising there wasn't a noticeable difference. But it would be cooler when sitting at a light.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Check out department of boosts gt500 intercoolers. I have heard they were good but it has been years since I have had FB but they were all the rage. They make a single and triple pass exchanger. Having more rows doesn’t mean it will be better at cooling when it comes to heat exchangers.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
I second taking a look at Department of Boosts GT500 heat exchangers. I believe they have the largest surface area for cooling and the single pass has good reasoning behind it versus a dual pass. They also give their thoughts on HX fans if you’re unsure of what you should use. IIRC the large single pass for the GT500 is also touted by them to be the largest that will fit behind a 99-04 bumper cover and does have the correct tabs for the MAS crash bar mounting with its provided tabs.

Thats the one I intend to use (DOB) and I have also already bought the MAS tubular crash bar with mounting tabs for it.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I went with the DOB GT500 HE. I don't remember the specifics but when I was researching I decided on this one for one reason or another. I also have the MAF crash bar so there is plenty of room.

I live in florida so I wanted the best I could buy at the time. GT500 HE, J2fab IC brick, EMP pump and all 1 inch lines. I'd recommend it!

Users who are viewing this thread