GT500 exhaust recommendations to go with headers

Meerology

Established Member
Hi all,

Im in the market for a new set of "mufflers" as the Magnaflow Street Catback is way too quite.

To me, my 13 GT with Flowmaster Outlaw sounded louder than my 12 GT500 with Kooks headers, catted x-pipe and Magnaflow Street Catback. :/

I want an exhaust that would be louder than the Magna Streets but lower than the Outlaws (As I assume I would go deaf with headers and Outlaws and be stopped by cops every couple of miles...unless it wont be much louder?).

To add, I REALLY want the gurgle/crackling sound when downshifting/decelerating that I got with the Outlaws.

As I dont want to buy another catback, Im thinking of buying an axleback and cutting the connecting pipe from my catback and weld it on the axle back. Anyone tried this or has a better method?

P.S. Ive been told gutting the cats will produce the gurgle/crackling im looking for. Whats your opinion on that?

I might also get an H-pipe (havent decided o/r or catted) as the Nascar Ferrari sound of the x-pipe is horrible in my opinion.

Last edited:

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Borla S or Touring perhaps? I have Magnaflow streets now and they're too quiet like you said. But I got cutouts so now it's okay haha

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I have long tubes, catted X, and GT500 quads. I have the crackling when I downshift. I'd like it a tad louder and may swap the resonators for some bullets, but the GT500 have a great sound IMO

Jebadias

Established Member
The sound you are describing is present in my stock Boss exhaust once I opened up the sidepipes. If you are considering changing your midpipe anyway maybe you should consider getting one set up like the boss

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
If you are considering changing your midpipe anyway maybe you should consider getting one set up like the boss
+1 to this. I found used MRT Boss Hpipe, cutouts and Kooks side pipes for about half priced of new and it's amazing. I start the car and pull out of our neighborhood with the side pipes closed, still not quiet but I'm being considerate, and then when I get out on the road I open them up to whatever degree I feel like and the volume is intense at wide open. Decel is all pop and crackle. I never miss an opportunity to down shift.

clc44

Established Member
I'd say keep the kooks theme. Google kooks catback. Someone has the full kooks exhaust. It's the best I've ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread