GT500 Exhaust Options

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
So guys I currently have the GT500 valance installed on my car and had the stock mufflers which sounded good. Now I have the Magnaflow 15176 compeition kit with a stainless works off road X. It's belligerently to loud lol , also the dealer I bought it from is imposing a huge restock fee so its almost as if im stuck with the exhaust and left to buy another cat back.

Was looking to get some recommendations on possible options that will give a good sound with the X. I've did a little research online and it seems the GT500 is limited in systems sadly. I was thinking of buying the Magnaflow 15173 which uses the street muffler but wanted you guys to chime in.

Thanks,

Josh

dom418

Established Member
How about using the X with the stock mufflers? Unfortunately anything with an o/r x is going to be obnoxious and stinky. This is the issue I had with my old Terminator, too raspy. I ended up with a bassani catted x and loved it.

KARSON219

Established Member
Very happy with my exhaust

I kept the stock mufflers due to the look and great sound from the factory. However, did an offroad pipe with them. Its sounds GREAT!!!

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
So guys I currently have the GT500 valance installed on my car and had the stock mufflers which sounded good. Now I have the Magnaflow 15176 compeition kit with a stainless works off road X. It's belligerently to loud lol , also the dealer I bought it from is imposing a huge restock fee so its almost as if im stuck with the exhaust and left to buy another cat back.

Was looking to get some recommendations on possible options that will give a good sound with the X. I've did a little research online and it seems the GT500 is limited in systems sadly. I was thinking of buying the Magnaflow 15173 which uses the street muffler but wanted you guys to chime in.

Thanks,

Josh

Stock, as in you have the stck 5.0 mufflers or the stock GT500 mufflers?

I currently have the stock GT500 mufflers with offroad h-pipe and it sounds great. I will probably be selling my stockers soon when flowmaster gets their prototype to me this week hopefully.

There is a post covering these options somehwhere but here is my OPINION on Quad tip options:
  • Borla (multiple sound options but all use a muffler and not a straight pipe)
  • MagnaFlow (multiple options as you know, but I believe you have the straight pipe version. Street version will be better to tame it IMO.)
  • Stainless works (probably raspy/loud as it's basically a dimpled straight pipe IMO)
  • FRPP (pricey but equivalent to stock GT500 + a little volume IMO)
  • Corsa (Maybe a bit quieter than stock GT500 mufflers IMO)
  • and soon the flownmaster outlaw setup once i test fit the prototype from them. Flowmaster setup will be axle back only and use the straight through Outlaw muffler to my dismay. They said the american thunder (2 chamber) muffler would possibly be quieter than the stock GT500 muffllers if that tells you anything about the stock GT500 mufflers. I prefer the 2 chamber sound regardless of volume. The Outlaws will flow better but might be to raspy for me. We'll see soon.
Also, some claim the offraod H-pipe is less raspy than the offroad X. It's not a major difference in my opinion. There is a youtube video showing the stock 13-14 GT500 mufflers with different offroads for your refernce. There is also a Youtube video for every muffler I mentioned above. There just wont be a flowmaster Outlaw video showing quad tips yet.

Not sure if you require a cat-back (rather than axle back) so that it will bolt up properly on a 5.o.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Stock, as in you have the stck 5.0 mufflers or the stock GT500 mufflers?

I currently have the stock GT500 mufflers with offroad h-pipe and it sounds great. I will probably be selling my stockers soon when flowmaster gets their prototype to me this week hopefully.

PM me what you think you may sell the stock mufflers for. :beer:

mixedup

Established Member
I found the stock 13 axle backs to quite for me - loved the look - but went with the Roush sport tuned - and the 2013/14 sport tips - fit nicely in stock GT500 valance and they are a little louder at idle and gradual acceleration (NO drone) - will admit at WOT they are like strait through pipes - obnoxiously loud .... but then that is how at WOT I like it!

stutter

eat me
Established Member
Hey guys, I have the Magnaflow Competition series which is the muffler delete version. I love em. I have everything stock except for those. They are loud and the drone is louder at times, but I still love em and my fiance and her son love it. Here is a video of me on the dyno with my car. I need a tune, as these mufflers freed up some hp and my air fuel mix was a little off. But heres the vid!!!! Click on the second pic!!!
IMG_4150.jpg

th_IMG_4154.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread