GT500 Engine Swap

racin_jason_76

In God We Trust
Established Member
Since you guys are the leader in GT500 performance can anyone shed any light on this for me, I am working on an engine swap (I have the engine already) to install an 07 GT500 engine into a 96 Cobra. Can I run the stock GT500 coil on plugs (COP's) with my 96 computer and wiring (provided I get a custom tune) or do I need to stay with the 96 coil pack setup for my computer and harness? Also, can anyone tell me if there is a performance difference between coil packs and COP's? I see y'all carry Weapon X and other brand performance coil packs and COP'S. Clearly the COP setup is much cleaner than the coil packs and wires but don't know if this is the main difference. I haven't seen any articles anywhere about performance differences between aftermarket coil packs vs COP's. The guy in the link below is running coil packs with this set up but don't know if that's because he had to or it was just easier. I welcome any and all input on this. Thanks guys!

http://realperformancemustangs.com/...-with-2007-5-4l-supercharged-gt500-powerplant

Jason

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
Since you guys are the leader in GT500 performance can anyone shed any light on this for me, I am working on an engine swap (I have the engine already) to install an 07 GT500 engine into a 96 Cobra. Can I run the stock GT500 coil on plugs (COP's) with my 96 computer and wiring (provided I get a custom tune) or do I need to stay with the 96 coil pack setup for my computer and harness? Also, can anyone tell me if there is a performance difference between coil packs and COP's? I see y'all carry Weapon X and other brand performance coil packs and COP'S. Clearly the COP setup is much cleaner than the coil packs and wires but don't know if this is the main difference. I haven't seen any articles anywhere about performance differences between aftermarket coil packs vs COP's. The guy in the link below is running coil packs with this set up but don't know if that's because he had to or it was just easier. I welcome any and all input on this. Thanks guys!

1997 Cobra with 2007 5.4L supercharged GT500 powerplant

Jason

Hopefully the Lethal Crew wont mind me touching on this alittle bit.

Can I run the stock GT500 coil on plugs (COP's) with my 96 computer and wiring (provided I get a custom tune) or do I need to stay with the 96 coil pack setup for my computer and harness?

No. The wiring for the 96 goes from the coils to the plug via a more traditional spark plug type wire.

Your best best will be to use a GT-500 harness and computer. There are alot of differences between the two motors, deck height, plug location, different style of connectors, and sensors that arent even on the 96. The only real way to make a GT-500 engine from oil pan to blower work, is with a GT-500 computer, coil(injector harness), and power harness(alt location has been moved).

Also, can anyone tell me if there is a performance difference between coil packs and COP's? I see y'all carry Weapon X and other brand performance coil packs and COP'S.

Coil packs are just that. On the B headed(96-98) cars, there are 2 coil packs, one on each side that has connectors for 4 cylinders each. From there there will be a wire that runs to a boot and connects to the spark plugs.

COPS(Coil on Plug). Each spark plug is fired from its own coil that sits directly on top of the plug and sits under the coil covers.

The differences are that the Coil packs are two different coils that fire 4 cylinders each. While the COP system uses a coil on each individual plug.

I haven't seen any articles anywhere about performance differences between aftermarket coil packs vs COP's.

Thats because not alot of people use them. Some see power gains while others dont. You can use the money spent on COPs to pick up power elsewhere. Also, the facotry Ford COPs have more then proven themselves to be more then reliable, durable, and capable to provide enough spark energy for high horsepower cars.

Last edited:

racin_jason_76

In God We Trust
Established Member
Thanks for the input. I knew there were wiring harness differences between the two, since the COP sits atop the spark plugs and packs are more similar to old school setups. My brother had an 01 Cobra with COP's so I am familiar with the two. I was mainly curious if there were any significant performance differences between the two which would serve as encouragement for me to make the computer and harness switch. The GT500 has throttle by wire and other features I am not interested in and would be expensive to track down. I was going to switch to COP's I would probably borrow items from an 03 Cobra. I could find that relatively easy and inexpensive.

I bought the long block off eBay and other parts off forum members. Somebody else said why don't you just rebuild the 4.6 and s/c or turbo and keep it simple but I wanted to be able to open the hood and have something different while keeping it all SVT.

Thanks again,
-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread