gt500 break in question

928gtp

Established Member
i was wondering how most of you guys broke in the new motor. ive also been reading some places that the gt500 is limited for like 500 miles or 500 cranks. i was wondering if this had any truth to it..thanks
scott

CobraRookie

Established Member
It's limited for 10 starts or 20 miles or something. You'll be through it before you're home. I went through the gears hard a couple of times the firsrt time I drove it. Nothing stupid though. I only have about 100 miles on it so far as I just got it in Dec. and I live in the frozen north so it will be late Mar or early Apr. before I'm able to get it back out.. Drive it like your going drive it two years from now would be my advice.
Don

928gtp

Established Member
thanks man. thats harsh that you cant drive it until march or april. i live in south carolina so i dont have to worry about anything freezing here.lol
scott

mullens

Established Member
No need to baby it. A good break in includes WOT runs on the highway to get those internals mated properly. I'd stay away from the redline in the low gears for the first 500 miles, then drive it like you stole it. All my new cars have been broken in this way and I've never had any issues.

beabout

Established Member
The PCM is set to pull timing for the first 500 miles. After that you will fill a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread