GT500 Brakes on 03/04 Cobra?

AaronK

Established Member
I thought I saw a thread about this a while ago but can't find it on here?

Does anyone know what it takes to use the rotors/calipers from a 2011 GT500 on an 03/04 Cobra? Or can someone share a link to another thread that discusses this?

Thanks!

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Why? Looking at your mod list, you don't even have any performance pads and stainless brake lines. I would do those two things along with a set of new brembo blanks and then see if you still want to spend all that money on converting to GT500 brakes.

cobracide

Established Member
Actually, the factory brakes are more than enough for the street. SS lines, hawk pads, fluid change - good to go. But if you're really wanting new brakes and itching to burn cash or going autocross, M-2300-X Cobra R brakes.

Last edited:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
Hey man, I agree with a lot of the stuff you post, but come on with the factory brakes are pretty good bit. lol

Just kidding ya, but seriously, a nice set of brakes on these cars are a great upgrade.

Actually, the factory brakes are more than enough for the street. SS lines, hawk pads, fluid change - good to go. But if you're really wanting new brakes and itching to burn cash or going autocross, M-2300-X Cobra R brakes.

cobracide

Established Member
Hey man, I agree with a lot of the stuff you post, but come on with the factory brakes are pretty good bit. lol

Just kidding ya, but seriously, a nice set of brakes on these cars are a great upgrade.

Let me ask you this - when was the last time you triggered the anti-lock braking system? I'm just saying you don't have to go that far. Some minor upgrades can help.

Last edited:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
My point exactly. The stockers can't do it. I am not so sure that is the sign a great brakes anyways. I want great modulation. I also want no fuss. The stock system lacks initial bit.

I plan on tracking my car, so that was the reason I upgraded. I think the 00R would be a great system for the street. Should have been the stock set up.

Brakes are just like horsepower. Once you taste something better, you gota have it.

Just sayin. I wasn't tryin to piss you off. I just don't think they are good at all. Especially if you have experienced better.

Let me ask you this - when was the last time you triggered the anti-lock braking system?

cobracide

Established Member
My point exactly. The stockers can't do it.

Heheh - well there you go. What kind of tires, brake pads, rotors do you have? I have stock brakes with SS lines, stock calipers with Hawk HPS pads with Amsoil Series 500 High-Performance DOT 3 Brake Fluid, FTBR Heavy duty slotted rotors. No problem here getting anti-lock to engage. Ok, even stock you should be able to engage the anti-lock.

Last edited:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Cobracide speaks the truth. The best place to start looking for more brake performance is pads, tires, and cooling ducts. SS lines and fresh fluid (with a higher boiling point) help improve feel and maintain consistent performance.

If you don't track the car, any brake upgrade is for show. Unless of course, you drive dangerously on the street. If you do track the car, you're leaving out valuable input that can help others determine where the weakness may lie.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
Cooling ducts are a joke bro. I do agree on the brake fluid though. Like I said before, great brakes are more than just stopping. They way they feel, and operate is a huge part of the equation for me.

I might drive more aggressive on the street. Maybe to aggressive. But the point is, the stock brakes where barely adequate for the stock machine let alone what most guys do to these cars.

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Cobracide speaks the truth. The best place to start looking for more brake performance is pads, tires, and cooling ducts. SS lines and fresh fluid (with a higher boiling point) help improve feel and maintain consistent performance.

If you don't track the car, any brake upgrade is for show. Unless of course, you drive dangerously on the street. If you do track the car, you're leaving out valuable input that can help others determine where the weakness may lie.

Exactly:thumbsup:

^because the factory brakes blow!

If you compare stopping distances of the '00 Cobra R & the Terminators, you will find the numbers are about equal. The advantage you have with the four-piston calipers is resistance to fade when on the track. That being said, I love the feel of my Brembo calipers, but I only bought them because I got a sweet deal on them. Otherwise, not worth the money...

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
"That being said, I love the feel of my Brembo calipers"... You said it. I agree. Worth the money right there.

AaronK

Established Member

:beer:

Why? Looking at your mod list, you don't even have any performance pads and stainless brake lines. I would do those two things along with a set of new brembo blanks and then see if you still want to spend all that money on converting to GT500 brakes.

1. My sig is WAY out of date
  2. I didn't see a need to post my brake mods. I've had stainless lines and upgrade rotors/pads for years
  3. This thread isn't regarding my Cobra

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
Hey AaronK, asking questions like these always gets a mixed bag of results. Opinion are like assholes! Everybody has one.

I can tell you from first hand experience. Better brakes are always going to perform better, and make the car more fun to drive. Not to mention safer.

I could fade my 00R brakes on the street with braided lines and Hawk pads. Not every time, but several times.

I think you you will like the upgrade! GL

Users who are viewing this thread