Gt500 Auto Guys inside insight

armycook1981

Established Member
For all those that run Auto's

I knew before I added the Kenne Bell that i would be looking at a trans build due to the limitations of the current 4r70..

The other day felt some drive train chatter and when i came to a stop it was reving to 25-3000 rpms with no movement.. parked the car had it towed to my shop.

Tech impression took it for a spin noticed it on the 1-2 shift brought it back put on lift dropped the pan.. Had metal shavings and clutch material in massive amounts .. Also turned out i had no magnetic plug to catch anything so the stuff is prob all over the trans..

so it lasted 3 years with a factory blower running and then add almost 200/200 more with a KB and it last 3 months LOL

its was under rated for what i had so i was not in shock when it happened.

I know some guys here have th400's, 4r100's and a few more with 4r70's..

IM looking at trying to stay with the 4r70 and electronic VB and EOD
4r70w's
FB performance-900/750
Automatic Transmission Factory- 1200/ tq not listed
Silver Fox- 950/ tq not listed

I have not searched for th400's yet because i want to a pick of the 4r70w's first then compare to a 400 conversion.

SO any insight from the guys that run one help me out

Coonsnake

Established Member
Check with Chris from Circle D. He built a 4r70 for a buddy of mine there in Houson. Kyle House with Exedy has lots of knowledge as well

armycook1981

Established Member
Yeah Chris referred me to silver fox. ( I've exchanged a few emails only thing that worries me is the power limitation on the build is only 950)

I emailed jdm about the 4r100 they did for you and they said it was a custom job so didn't get very far with that. ( guess its one of those must have car in house to do it)

Blackedout

Established Member
I don't have a 500... but I do run a FB trans with zero problems.... great shop to talk/deal with... :beer:

armycook1981

Established Member
What kinda power are you throwing at it?

That 4stbe is the one I'm looking at but it's only rated for 900

Last edited:

Coonsnake

Established Member
Brains Truck Shop (BTS) in Lead Hill, Arkansas is the place you need to go for a 4r100 install. He built my tranny and wired it up. JDM only done the fab work and bolted it up. Brian is an awesome guy who stands behind his stuff. I don't think twice about throwing a 1000 hp to mine.

Blackedout

Established Member
What kinda power are you throwing at it?

That 4stbe is the one I'm looking at but it's only rated for 900

Put 735 rwhp on a hot july day... You should call and talk to them they don't push you to buy... get all your info/questions and then you can decide.. :beer:

JimIII@jdm

Brains Truck Shop (BTS) in Lead Hill, Arkansas is the place you need to go for a 4r100 install. He built my tranny and wired it up. JDM only done the fab work and bolted it up. Brian is an awesome guy who stands behind his stuff. I don't think twice about throwing a 1000 hp to mine.

Brian's truck shop is the best in the game for the 4R100. I spoke to him about a month ago and he mentioned to have a transbrake setup for the 4R100 too now. That would be awesome for your car.

We have used BTS for about 10 years and sold hundreds of his transmissions. He has always stood behind them and goes above and beyond to help when needed. He put a 4R100 in his own GT500 too. His and JD's are the only two in the world I believe. It is a ton of custom work, we have some footage on our website that shows the fitment of JD's trans.

JDM Engineering
JDM Engineering

armycook1981

Established Member
Spoke with Fred this morning. gonna go with his build. Changing to a MVB and a Trans Brake and also will be getting my stall reworked

I receieved an email from DAN@ silver fox and he said he was on a brake and would be down untill augest.

Users who are viewing this thread