GT40 Intake - to port or not to port

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
I've got a tubular GT40 upper and lower setup that I'll be putting on my stock 5.0. From a little reading, it sound like I can expect maybe 15hp from the swap alone. Lots of people get the lower intake ported -- but they all seem to be running various aftermarket heads. If I get the gt40 lower ported would it give me any significant gains on the stock heads, or is it not worth the cost unless I'm going to swap the heads?

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
If you plan on keeping the intake for future use, go ahead and get it ported. When ported the GT-40 intakes flow very well, ive seen them on a few 700hp cars myself.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Are you doing the porting yourself or sending it to TMOSS? Like mentioned I would do it regardless. If you plan on doing it yourself get an explorer lower from the junkyard cheap to practice on. There are direction on the web. I plan on doing my explorer intake as well.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Port matching the lower intake to the head intake port is always a good idea. Don't touch the upper intake.

I'd also double check the value of intake before you modify it. There are cheaper/better cast upper intakes from a performance perspective, but the GT40 intake was expensive and on a few special addition (non-ford) like the SCCA Mustangs.

I gave one of the things away 10 years ago. :mj:

FYI: A 1" phenolic spacer between the upper and lower was worth about 5 HP. Not just from a heat limiter, but from a runner length benefit.

Last edited:

Dig Race

Established Member
With stock heads just do a gasket match on the lower, that's all that's really going to help. That intake can already outflow your heads.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Saw this got bumped. I ended up getting the GT40 heads from the same seller. It was too good a deal to pass up. They have about 2000 miles on them.
I'll probably do a mild cam -- something that gives me some useful low end power. I have the upgraded injectors too -- I think 24lb. The springs have a 550 lift, I'll probably do roller rockers too since it would be silly not to while it's all apart.

I'm figuring I can expect maybe 60-70 RWHP increase out of that set up. You all agree?

Dig Race

Established Member
Maybe 270-280hp some guys can put down 300. Gasket match the lower to those heads, you will be amazed how much smaller the intake side is. I did mine to a 1250 gasket and it's a nice fit with the gt40 heads.

Mike Morris

Established Member
I extrude honed my lower GT40 intake back in the day and port matched it. I gained a tenth and mph in same conditions. Car was bolt ons with 1.72 rockers and stock untouched heads. I would say do it.

Users who are viewing this thread