GT350R Wheel Rim Rash Repair?

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Do you have an R? The wheels are painted so any minor scratches could be repaired and painted. Any structural damage and you are most likely buying a new wheel.

TJR12

TJR12
Established Member
I do have a R, wheel got scratched, minor, not structural, typical rim rash. Curious if anyone else had a similar issue and had it successfully repaired, and if there was any specific method used to repair. I've called a few wheel repair places and once the word carbon fiber wheel came out of my mouth they wouldn't touch it.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
I don't think any shop will touch that wheel. There are almost no other carbon fiber wheels in existence being used on the street. How are they going to warranty or guarantee the work when they have 0 experience with such a material? Traditional repair methods are all but experimental on CF.

Good luck on getting it handled. Probably a good time to start a DIY project or call your dealer and have it shipped back to ford.

Last edited:

TJR12

TJR12
Established Member
I figured it was a long shot that anyone had already figured this one out but thought I would try. My DIY skills are not good enough to try to repair it myself unfortunately. I'm going to try a local place that fixes carbon fiber bike frames and I've also been told of a shop that has refinished scratched motorcycle carbon fiber wheels, which apparently are a little more common. I'm guessing I won't be the last one that scratches these wheels, if I figure it out I will post details.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I know nothing about CF wheel repair so take it for what it's worth.

You might want to consider taking some 400 grit sand paper and sand down the scratch to eliminate it then paint the area that was sanded. Another option is to just fill in the scratch and paint over it.

I would call around and do some research on CF wheel repair before starting any work on that very expensive wheel. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread