GT350 to have carbon fiber wheels and brakes available.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Warrantees cover manufacturer defects not driver errors. And just because someone can buy a $60k car doesn't mean that they won't worry about replacing a $3k rim every time they rub a curb.

What I was getting at was that CF is well...fibers. Will the fibers come apart once concrete rips through the layers? I'm sure it is strong and can hold weight and stand up to the forces that driving puts on wheels. But I see a lot of nice rims with scratches on them. Medal does not come apart when scratched, fiber does.

I feel that that use of CF on wearable parts; like rims and brakes, actually reduce the streetability of cars.

A minor scratch will not hurt anything as that will just be a blemish in the resin holding the fibers together. A scrape in the bead from curb rash won't ruin the wheel. If you managed to curb your wheel hard enough to significantly damage the CF wheel to the point that the bead can't hold a seal or the structural integrity is compromised, a metal wheel probably would need repairs/replacement as well.

Also, the GT350R isn't meant to be a DD. That's why we have the GT350.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Warrantees cover manufacturer defects not driver errors. And just because someone can buy a $60k car doesn't mean that they won't worry about replacing a $3k rim every time they rub a curb.

What I was getting at was that CF is well...fibers. Will the fibers come apart once concrete rips through the layers? I'm sure it is strong and can hold weight and stand up to the forces that driving puts on wheels. But I see a lot of nice rims with scratches on them. Medal does not come apart when scratched, fiber does.

I feel that that use of CF on wearable parts; like rims and brakes, actually reduce the streetability of cars.

You may want to read up on carbon fiber construction. It isn't just a blanket of material with a shiny resin covering it. The fibers are heat and vacuum bonded. If serious enough damage occurs, it'll be catastrophic. Carbon fiber doesn't [normallyl] fray like regular fabric, serious damage is going to fracture/shatter it. If it's enough to seriously damage a CF wheel it's going to seriously damage a metal wheel, too. If you curb one, the worse that'll happen is you end up with an ugly wheel. The overall integrity of the wheel will remain intact. No manufacturer would put CF wheels on a car if they were that brittle and easily destroyed. That's a MASSIVE lawsuit just waiting to happen if someone is injured or killed due to wheel failure from minor/mild damage or impact.

Users who are viewing this thread