GT350 oil consumption questions..

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey everyone,

I've been recently trying to do a little research on the GT350's. I know about the oil consumption issues.

My question is, does the 2019 model still have this problem? Are people buying these used without any worries?

All of the ones I'm looking at are out of state.

I see a lot of WTB threads on here, but not many for sale.

I've found a 18 with 9k miles and a 19 with 17k miles.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Hey everyone,

I've been recently trying to do a little research on the GT350's. I know about the oil consumption issues.

My question is, does the 2019 model still have this problem? Are people buying these used without any worries?

All of the ones I'm looking at are out of state.

I see a lot of WTB threads on here, but not many for sale.

I've found a 18 with 9k miles and a 19 with 17k miles.

Thanks everyone.

The oil consumption issue started in 2017 and ran through part of 2018. There's no explanation of why it happened, and all the theories are just guesses. While it got a lot of attention online, it didn't affect most of the GT350's that Ford delivered.

If I were in your position, I'd be more concerned about possible engine mods including aftermarket tunes. At this point in time, both cars should be new enough that the 5 year powertrain warranty is still in effect. Depending on the dealer you're working with, a tune can change "it's covered" to "sorry" if anything goes wrong.

So, pick the one you like best that has had no mods and that's new enough for an extended warranty.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The oil consumption issue started in 2017 and ran through part of 2018. There's no explanation of why it happened, and all the theories are just guesses. While it got a lot of attention online, it didn't affect most of the GT350's that Ford delivered.

If I were in your position, I'd be more concerned about possible engine mods including aftermarket tunes. At this point in time, both cars should be new enough that the 5 year powertrain warranty is still in effect. Depending on the dealer you're working with, a tune can change "it's covered" to "sorry" if anything goes wrong.

So, pick the one you like best that has had no mods and that's new enough for an extended warranty.
Great explanation, thank you. The 2018 model I'm looking at is at a Ford dealership. And is ford gold certified. It currently has 9k miles.

Might be hard to tell if any mods are done. But I'd definitely want to add an extended warranty.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Im curious about this thread, and whats offered, as I have interest in a no electronics R, which will limit my options to 2015 to 2018, a gen one engine. Yes, I know about G6, but too much info over there....

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
i had a 17 model that i never was really impressed by(*on the street*…but on the track it was clear they put together a nice package), recently coming from a bolt-on e85 coyote.

i spent a lot of time in the facebook group, and idc what anyone says, the 17s and 18s were multiple new motor posts a week there for a bit. I’ve never seen anything like it…and then mine went too lol.

My dealer only soured the experience …splitter came off at 145mph(they left the 4 angled hardware out, very common), and then during the motor replacement they gave it back to me twice with a CEL.

i just couldn’t win with that car.

if I’m choosing for you I’m going with the 19.

it is my favorite looking mustang of all time that I’ll never own again.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
So, the engine problems were minimal in the 2015/16 MY cars, but they kicked in in MY2017 and didn't really fade out until 2019, which would have included some late production 2018's.

There's a big social media story about "Gen 2" engines, but they really don't exist. Over the course of the engine's production life, Ford changed everything from pistons to rods to bearings to valves to cam control to fuel rails to the actual block between 2016 and 2020. It was an endless wave of rolling changes every few months.

Some were probably about reliability but I expect that most were about cost reduction. At no time did the performance specs for the engine change - always the same HP and torque ratings. And the engines were, by and large, reliable.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
I would also agree with @JAJ that the 15-16 were a safer bet too. So the fella looking for an R without electronics @specracer I'd be looking for mainly 16 model as I think the 15 were very limited number (just guessing you are going to track it and I think the 15s are more collector items)

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
So is it safe to say I should be looking for a 2019?

A 2019 with no engine mods. Or any model year with a replaced engine. Not because a replaced engine is a better engine (though it might be) but more because it's very unlikely that any given VIN would have two faulty engines in a row.

The 2016's had one reliability problem - service techs that didn't install the oil filter properly. The first year of production had spin-on oil filters (that came with thread locking compound pre-installed on the threads) that had to be torqued to 16-18 ft-lbs. Service techs would ignore the big label on the end of the filter and just spin them on with an extra 3/4 turn (like a regular V8 filter). The filter would come loose and drain the engine a few weeks after the oil change.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
These are the two that I've been looking at.

The first is the grey 2018 1 owner with 9k miles and the blue is a 2019 with 17k miles, also 1 owner. It appears to have a jlt intake, but a Ford extended warranty. Not sure how that works? And it's at a Ford dealership.

10b8e706b861cb4877f88c9b0ff993a0.jpg
47f9ba7ed854e6687af0669448de896e.jpg

Last edited:

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
These are the two that I've been looking at.

The first is the grey 2018 1 owner with 9k miles and the blue is a 2019 with 17k miles, also 1 owner. It appears to have a jlt intake, but a Ford extended warranty. Not sure how that works? And it's at a Ford dealership.

10b8e706b861cb4877f88c9b0ff993a0.jpg
47f9ba7ed854e6687af0669448de896e.jpg

Which color do you like best? I like the blue, actually.

The JLT for the GT350 doesn't require retuning the engine, so from a tuning standpoint, it might be ok. Or it might be tuned, just because the PO wanted it tuned, not because it was needed. If it's a Ford dealer, the service dept can find out by plugging in an IDS service tool. The extended warranty sounds good, but keep in mind that you can get one even if the car's tuned, it's just that some stuff may not be covered.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Surely the intake is without tune. Also, I'm sure you probably know this, but the wheels are different if that matters to you

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I would also agree with @JAJ that the 15-16 were a safer bet too. So the fella looking for an R without electronics @specracer I'd be looking for mainly 16 model as I think the 15 were very limited number (just guessing you are going to track it and I think the 15s are more collector items)
Nah, not looking to track it. Have a couple Cobra R's (no electronics no ac etc), so just seems to keep in line with a part of our collection.

Congrats to @Bdubbs ! And sorry for thread deviation.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you guys, can't wait!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice congrats!
Velocity or Lightning blue?
It’s sharp in the sun
-J
Thanks!

I was told velocity blue. But it kinda looks like lightning blue to me.

Users who are viewing this thread