GT350 Gauge Cluster Swap Thread

thehunterooo

Established Member
So I purchased a GT350 gauge cluster from a part out car but now the issue is getting it programmed. My local dealer says they order the clusters and ship the old ones back to some place in PA and do not program them or anything like that. I am not too sure what to do at this point I am most likely going to ask some other dealers, tuners, etc and see what I can find out. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

thehunterooo

Established Member
Yeah I am going to call a few others in the next few days.

Otherwise I test installed the cluster and turned the car on everything seems to be working right just shows the incorrect mileage (I did not drive it of course). RPMs on the gauge were correct (though MPH might be a different story but we will see) so the gauge should be an easy swap minus the programming from the dealer.

calebdnehus

Established Member
Let us know what you find out and if they are able to calibrate the speedo with the programming. Should be fairly simple for the right dealer to program this cluster. Definitely interested in this

thehunterooo

Established Member
Let us know what you find out and if they are able to calibrate the speedo with the programming. Should be fairly simple for the right dealer to program this cluster. Definitely interested in this

I have been talking to someone who actually did the swap but with a new cluster. I am working on getting the ODO changed and then swapping it in without changing as built data so it will be interesting to see how it goes. Otherwise you just need a 350 vin, go to the dealer and order the cluster (they have to order it and have the mileage programmed the dealer can’t do it themselves). There are also issues with the premium cars and such I am working on a guide with my research along with what JWS for M6G has found as well.

This also means that the 18-20 digital cluster has a good chance of swapping over as well.

But yeah the speedo is accurate on JWS’s cluster.

thehunterooo

Established Member
That being said my plan is to just change the ODO to try to match my stock cluster and not change anything else becuase as of now everything on the 350 cluster works without any issues. Oddly enough I’ve swapped them a few times for testing and never dissconected the battery. Not a single issue. Even started the car with no cluster installed and nothing was out of the ordinary. Radio still works with whatever cluster is in the car.

This also brings up something I have spent the last month researching. What security features are in place to prevent someone from swapping in a lower mileage cluster and passing it off as actual mileage if sold?

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
What security features are in place to prevent someone from swapping in a lower mileage cluster and passing it off as actual mileage if sold?

Probably none. Pontiac got in some trouble back in the mid 90's with the Sunfire. You could pull a fuse and the car wouldn't clock any mileage and the tach wouldn't work. Everything else was fine.

I remember Pontiac getting sued by a few consumers for selling cars with inaccurate mileage on them.

thehunterooo

Established Member
Probably none. Pontiac got in some trouble back in the mid 90's with the Sunfire. You could pull a fuse and the car wouldn't clock any mileage and the tach wouldn't work. Everything else was fine.

I remember Pontiac getting sued by a few consumers for selling cars with inaccurate mileage on them.

That’s interesting. I was reading about PATS and such but from everything I have seen there does not seem to be anything as far as I can tell. I assume the car logs the mileage somewhere else but even with the car running with the cluster displaying the incorrect mileage nothing happened (I was expecting some sort of handshake check or something at least). If there is nothing then it makes the swap easy. After this swap I’m going to experiment with the stock cluster and also try to test a digital cluster as well once the cars get totaled and parted out.

Can’t wait to get the 350 cluster installed though the thing is beautiful.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
As far as I know, on modern cars, there is a master controller/computer system that (among other things) clocks miles and overall run time (supporting the suit against Pontiac). The OD on the dash is supposed to be for quick reference.

thehunterooo

Established Member
I got the ODO changed and installed it (I got pretty fast LUL). Everything works as it should though some quirks that I already knew about as someone already did the swap and told me.

The car chimes whenever the driver door is open. Happens on mine and on JWS’s car with the change built in data. From what I found it may be the headlight switch but who knows. Not really a big deal but maybe I’ll use fordscan or something to try to disable it. With the auto car I can not see what gear I am in as I use paddles 99.9% of the time. Not a big deal but JWS seemed to be able to get it “turned on” with the as built data. It seems per him that Ford at one point did intend to have an auto in the GT350 but never did.

The speedo is accurate ( 1mph off like my old cluster). I can use the shift tone but most of the other specific 350 stuff does not work of course. Cruise control works but JWS states that adaptive cruise control does not work.

The only other thing I lost was the ability to change the steering feel. Seems to be stuck in normal while I use comfort since I don’t care for the “heavy” feel. Not a big deal but something to mess around with in the future. Digital speedo is a lot nicer than I thought it would be though and the cluster is beautiful.

I was able to get the mileage change for $89 using ODO-pro, I put 30500 miles but there is a range of error of 150 miles on their end I got it with 3045x so I was pretty happy.

Otherwise everything seems to be good. JWS is already working on some things but for me it doesn’t matter since I have a base car and they have a fully optioned 50 year car. I’ll still mess around with it and see what can be done. Keep in mind this is a cluster right from a gt350 with the ODO changed and that’s it. You can basically just swap them out as is since the ODO reading does not “matter”.

If anyone wants to do the swap you would have to buy the cluster from Ford for $1100~ but it’s a new cluster with the correct ODO already.i spent about $700 so not too much of a difference. The 18-20 analog clusters should be super easy and someone already got a digital cluster but I don’t have too much info on it though it should work with the steering wheel button swap.

Users who are viewing this thread