GT350 Carbon Revolution CF wheels in a color other than black?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Holy shit dude - what software do you do this with?? It's got to be hella complicated and expensive....

It's parametric and feature based modeling, sketched/drawn in one program and rendered in a couple of different specialized programs. "Complicated" is relative here - I'd say it's more about a dedication to put forth the effort to learn it and what you do with that knowledge once you've garnered it. You have to constantly challenge yourself in terms of how you think. When it finally clicks, you begin to see things differently (think "Limitless") and your understanding of most anything you see or can dream up in your head, changes.

As for cost, advanced CAD programs are very pricey indeed. But there is change in the air and one heck of a lot of innovation and creativity in terms of the future of modeling. If anyone wants to take a crack at it without emptying college fund accounts for the kids I suggest taking a look at Fusion360. It isn't what I use but I have it at my fingertips were I so inclined.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

Carbon Revolution did a great job with this wheel and the technology and engineering behind it is truly fascinating. The people there and at Ford, working quietly behind the scenes on it, should be commended. The individual(s) that sketched the 2015 rendition of the snake should be credited as should those responsible for the badging on this car. It is sharp and minimalist - they absolutely crushed it.

Nice work. Can you get those made? FWIW I installed the thick gel decals with Ford logos on my wife's 2013 Fusion Titanium on the wheels, hood and deck lid and almost three years later they still look great. They changed the background from Ford blue to gray metallic to match my wife's car. So something like that might work. I can show you photos if you'd like.

There's probably a bit more detail than necessary for a simple centercap so a reasonable fascimile should probably be dumbed down and defeatured a bit for cost and simplicity's sake. I can hear the bitching already about having to use a toothpick/Q-Tip to have to clean up something such as a cap with this level of detail. Then again, life's too short so why not throw caution to the wind and choose badass over practicality? That said, sure this could be replicated.

I would be interested to see what you did Rick.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Not sure why anyone who isn't being paid to drive, would ever want a car with CCBs.

That's a very slippery slope you're stepping onto. Another person could just as easily say "Not sure why anyone who isn't being paid to drive would ever want to spend the time, money, and risk just to drive their car around a racetrack for a few minutes at a time." The answer to both is "because they want to and choose to."

I've yet to see a single person mention what they've paid, so I am assuming that means this hasn't happened yet.

treynor said he paid MSRP for his R.

Thanks.

If you've got an idea or scheme you think would work well, by all means, let's hear it. If I can I'll see if I can make it happen.

Red stripe around the outer edge of a black wheel. A white stripe around the outer edge of a black wheel. A gold stripe around the outer edge of a black wheel.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I was going to say that I went back and made an extrusion of a few thousandths near the outer edge of the spoke face so that I could add a somewhat transparent red stripe. When I get it done I'll put it up. I think that just the right amount of subtlety is the key.

krt22

Established Member
The lug seats are obviously some sort of metal, know if they are steel or aluminum?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The lug inserts are simply hard anodized aluminum, I'd assume 6061-T6.

https://youtu.be/gWiTky3zZXQ?t=8m13s

Here's an interesting video from CR that showcases the technology pretty well.

[video=youtube;1uN9tRAyJVk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uN9tRAyJVk[/video]

krt22

Established Member
If its only Type 2 hard ano, might be interesting to anodize them red as well.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Haven't spent much time on this but I did finish up the SHW rotor file I started a couple of months ago. I have one of these rotors coming in a day or so and I'll verify the dimensions that I've scaled/interpolated to date. I'll finally be able to see how one of these massive rotors fits up on an S197 spindle in the flesh (what I'm looking at).

I scaled up some ARP studs, dimensioned and sketched some open end FRPP lug nuts, and slid the rotor and wheel onto an S197 hub. Right click then "view image" for higher resolution.

Complete%20GT350R%20%20RED%20wheel%20arp%20studs%2  0FRPP%20lug%20nuts%20GT350%20rotor.114.jpg~origina  l

Complete%20GT350R%20%20RED%20wheel%20arp%20studs%2  0FRPP%20lug%20nuts%20GT350%20rotor.113.jpg~origina  l

The above renders took over a half hour each and absolutely sucked my brand new Dell 6800 Workstation dry.

Note that I'm playing with a combination that doesn't exist. I'm using an R rear wheel with an SHW front rotor. Regardless, something I hadn't paid much attention to - the factory studs used for the rear R wheels are extremely long (for a factory Mustang anyway). I rendered the ARP studs and cringed at their length until I saw that was exactly what the factory was doing. The inside hub insert on the CR rear wheel is thick!

Shelby-GT350-Track-Tour-Sebring-2015-6180.jpg

And a very cool video clip that CR posted up the other day. Cool because the clip indicates that CR's new manufacturing facility is now up and running which means they are on their way to 50,000 fiber wheels annually.
https://www.facebook.com/FordAustralia/videos/10154402910598747/?fref=nf

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The studs are properly dimensioned S197 1/2" x 20tpi (the modeled wheel hub is an incomplete S197 version). The wheel uses the S550 diameter hole which take a 14mm stud. I sketched them this way because I wanted to "see" the fitment when mixing the two. I modeled the studs after the following ARP chart, the studs on my own car, and gave them the length needed to work for this specific rendered combination.

ARPspecs.gif

Come to think of it, I think I saw that Filip is selling the S197 ARP's in place of the slightly larger metric size for use in an S550 hub.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Gotcha. Forgot you want to install these on a S197. Yes CorteX has an APR stud kit using the 1/2 studs. It looks like the longer studs on the R might work for the front of the non R GT350's so I can install spacers if I use the HRE FF15 19x11 wheel designed for the rear on the front for a square track setup.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I can't believe we are even talking about an 11" up front. I never thought it'd happen.

Users who are viewing this thread