GT350 brake swap

qachargh

Established Member
This is really a question for the people on here who have gotten a good look at the mechanicals of the '15 "cough" Tob "cough" and have seen the brake and suspension mounts.

Would it be feasible to swap the new GT350 brakes on my '13? I would be thrilled to death to get a factory setup with 2-piece rotors and significantly upgraded rear brakes.

I haven't gotten any kind of good look at a '15 but I assume the mounting points and hardware would be similar to the S-197 for no reason than cost savings. The question mark for me is mounting for the rear brakes.

This is a serious consideration for me if the hardware is cost effective compared to most of the kits. Any input from the more informed would be greatly appreciated.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I have yet to see any data on the 2015 spindles and their respective caliper mounts or the hubs they use. You can't retrofit the '15 spindle to the earlier car (well I suppose some radical surgery would allow it) and I think it'd be very coincidental if the stack up dimensions allowed mixing the '15 pieces with the '14 and earlier.

Our solid axle cars utilize floating calipers in the rear while IRS cars use a fixed caliper. Due to the c-clip axle design (etc) you normally wouldn't see a fixed caliper on a solid axle due to pad knock back.

Again and as always, money and creative engineering can make most anything work when in large supply.

qachargh

Established Member
Exactly why I posited that query here. If the front spindles are significantly different I don't see how a retrofit would be cost effective compared to aftermarket pieces.

Maybe somebody at FRPP uses Ford's buying power to put together an upgrade package using some of the new parts.

mavisky

Established Member
TOB pointed out every reason why this probably won't work and why the rear axles almost definitely won't work. Fixed calipers on solid axle cars is a bad thing typically.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Rear will be expensive and very difficult without a lot of custom hardware.

Front's just need a 2 piece Brembo, FTBR, or Girodisc rotor if you're serious about tracking. The 13/14 6 piston fronts are plenty adequate.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Would need to know the GT350 15.5" rotor thickness and hat dimensions, would be nice to have lighter, larger brakes.
-J

Snoopy49

Established Member
Another thing to consider is the lug nut hole size difference between the 13/14 and the 15. The 13/14 is 1/2" and the 15 is 14mm (9/16).

mavisky

Established Member
I wonder if there's any functional difference between the 13-14 GT500 six piston Brembo calipers and the new 15 Gt350 six piston Brembo calipers. The 4 piston Brembo's on the 2015 GT look awfully familiar to the 4 piston Brembo's on my 09 GT500 and the 10-14 track pack cars.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I wonder if there's any functional difference between the 13-14 GT500 six piston Brembo calipers and the new 15 Gt350 six piston Brembo calipers. The 4 piston Brembo's on the 2015 GT look awfully familiar to the 4 piston Brembo's on my 09 GT500 and the 10-14 track pack cars.

The 4 piston calipers on the '15 GT are Akebono NOT Brembo. :read:

Users who are viewing this thread