gt350 base suspension technology description

65sohc

Established Member
I'll be adding a FF tune to mine before anything else. I may stop there, I may not, but gaining 40whp and broadening the torque curve on nothing but an E85 tune is just too good to pass up.

I just saw this on Edmunds.com: "How much less isn't entirely clear. Adam Christian, Ford Performance's internal combustion technical expert, is non-committal in providing an exact number but hints that 15-20 hp is likely." I didn't realize it was that much. The Lund dyno numbers compare their tunes to the factory tune on 93 so the gains with FF are actually more than claimed if you take into account the 91 octane penalty.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Well, the GT350 dynoed exactly the same peak horsepower as the LS7 on 91 octane in the MT test. So, you're looking at probably right around 15-20hp less than 93 octane according to that, just as the engineer stated. E85 would give you 50-60whp. That's a no brainier.

crazyfish

Established Member
bretlassalie, firstly congrats on the gt350. Welcome to this thread, been waiting for guys like you who know from experience the differences between the Boss and the base gt350. Granted you are in the break in period, so I'm certain your experience with performance of the gt350 will be detuned and will reflect in your response

1/ What made you settle on the base gt350 and were you able to test drive one before placing the order? If yes did you drive one with Mag ride? Are you able to comment on the difference between the base and mag ride suspension differences?

2/ Are you able to select shock settings, or are you only able to adjust stability and ABS?

3/ Do you lose low end torque off the line compared to the boss?

4/ I uncapped my side exhaust on the boss and loved it, but a little drone at legal cruising speeds. Would you say the exhaust note is on parr, louder or quieter? Is the base gt350 exhaust adjustability noticeable?

5/ I found the boss, due to the solid axle could wheel hop in bumpy aggressive corners, or hitting a bump on launch? Is wheel hop subdued in the IRS GT350.

6/ How do you find pitch or nose dive on acceleration and braking?

7/ Having sat in a track pack car of which the interior is virtually identical to the base, would you say like me the quality is significantly improved over the boss?

Please elaborate on your driving experiences in the gt350 and throw in some comparison between it and the boss. I miss the rawness of the boss, I'm hoping the gt350 base can return this to me.

Thanks and again congratulations!
Puluke

All I can say is the word you say is almost point on for the Boss and Track Cars "RAW". This is a great description. I have a 14 Track Car GT LE that basically is a Boss plus. This car came from factory with all Boss underpinnings with Brillstein 3 way adjustable shocks, FPR springs, FPR Roush Exhaust, Factory Tracy Key Program loaded and Hiflow CAI complete with almost no interior, am\fm radio only and Recaros. Raw is perfect for this. This car rocks, runs and sounds incredible. Going around corners, hitting little bumps bounces the car around. Brakes do a great job. Very Fast car. Car feels light and nimble with good overall performance.
Compare it to my base Shelby? No comparison.

I bought the base since I could not see or justify the difference for the tech or track pack. Wanted the R but paying over $100k is not feasible. Did I drive a 15 GT or a 15/16 Shelby before ordering. No. I liked my track car so much I thought this Shelby would only be better.

crazyfish

Established Member
I own a 2013 Boss 302 (bone stock) and just took delivery of my 2016 BASE GT350. I can not speak formally about the suspension as I have not been able to find exactly what a Base GT350 has. What I can say is that the Shelby feels nothing like the Boss 302 suspension. I've only put 300 miles on it, but it handles much better than the Boss 302 (in all categories). The car is much less harsh (even in the Boss' softest settings), handles much flatter. To me, the GT350 feels more like the C6 vette than the Boss 302. Feel free to ask me any direct questions re: the GT350 vs. Boss 302.

I am trying to post but I have to tag a reply.

I don't know what shocks are in my gt350 but the label is silver and it says BNI and their black. They are shoe horned in and I don't have a lift or good angle to take pics. However there is a harness with a plug going to the shocks.
The shocks are adjustable by button. If I put it into Sport mode you feel the difference in ride!
Everything is adjustable on my car from suspension to traction control/yaw interaction, launch control, shift point access to traction control interaction, etc. My car is base model.

As for power of Shelby vs. Boss ( I have 14 Track Car Gt Boss copy). Plain different. Track car is more responsive on immediate launch but not much difference. Track car has stock exhaust and is louder. More like a muscle car scream vs. Shelby which sounds like a loud bunch of pissed off bees. Main difference is side by side if Shelby is close in a race and you would be in 3rd gear at 5000 rpm or so it would be no contest. This is Shelby strength on the gt350 . The Shelby pulls like a freight train and so far I have played with 3 cars side by side with my Shelby with all being so surprised by the midrange pull. I have run an Audi R8 with V10 and NO contest up there. I have run my buddys Z51 Corvette and guess what NO contest. I have also run a BMW M3 turbo which actually gave me more of a run for my money than the Vette or Audi but still not as strong. On low end almost all of us about the same within a length up to 60-75mph.

I will know more on my car when weather changes in spring. Cars are put to bed for winter.

What are true differences from base, track to tech? Even Ford doesn't tell you. Specially tuned suspension means what? Don't know if I have magride or adjustable calving presets, etc. All I know car handles, runs and brakes incredible.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 20151216_162029_resized.jpg
    20151216_162029_resized.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 229

Puluke

Established Member
Really appreciate you documenting your experiences with the base model. I will as I'm sure we all will, continue to follow this thread. We will be snowed under in my home town until well into April. I am hoping that even more base owners as well as yourselves chat it up about driving the Base. For that matter, I'm inviting any one who has test driven the base to comment.

Puluke

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread