gt350 base suspension technology description

Puluke

Established Member
Hi

Can someone provide a reliable description of the GT350 base suspension? Perhaps someone can provide me with an email contact of the Ford SVT group. The price point of the GT350 with either the track or technology packages are to expensive. I can afford the base. I have seen and sat in the GT350, talked to sales staff, watched hours of videos, read articles, but no where can I find an accurate, complete description of the base GT350 technology. Looking for a description of the struts, sway bars. springs, etc.

Please no hear say or guesses.
Thank you
Puluke

Last edited:

Puluke

Established Member
Sorry if the title is misleading. Looking for a description of the base GT350 suspension only. I understand the technology and track packages.

svtrookie

Established Member
I would like to know this as well! Is the base package still a blast to drive if it's just a street cruiser?

Puluke

Established Member
Continuing my search to an answer for the base gt350 suspension, I found a general description on the Ford media centre. Copied below is the write up:-
Suspension tuned for maximum performance on road and track
Handling is the performance playground of Shelby GT350, and the car’s suspension is heavily revised to maximize cornering performance.
Shelby Mustang features all-new aluminum front knuckle, hub and bearing assemblies that are stiffer and lighter than the standard parts. Rigid bushings are fitted to the control arms and subframes for improved steering feedback. Heavy-duty bearings are added for increased lateral stiffness. Front and rear antiroll bars are increased in diameter for improved body control. In an example of obsession to detail, one side of the rear suspension features a new counter-wound rear spring and matching rear control arm so the left and right sides are mirror images – perfecting wheel motion."

Suppose that answers a few of my questions. So what about the struts? Are they nothing more then struts from the 2015 GT?

Pasted below is the link to the Ford media centre, from which this excerpt was selected from:-
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...s/cars/mustang/2016-gt350-350r-press-kit.html

Last edited:

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
The base GT350 struts and shocks are Bilsteins. They are apparently much better than the GTPP dampers. As I understand it from the limited information out there, the base model is still a much more capable handler than the 2015 GTPP. It has a significantly stiffer suspension setup with much better tires and brakes to boot.

The Magneride system is probably going to help around the track, but I'm thinking it may be there mainly to give drivers multiple levels of comfort and performance. The Magneride equipped cars have stiffer front springs also. This may be because the multiple levels of tuning allow for stiffer springs while maintaining comfort levels. My only thought about that is that there seem to be some complaints about under steer on the Magneride equipped GT350 (non-R) reviews. The stiffer front springs may be to blame for that, at least partially. It makes me wonder if the base model GT350 suspension may under steer less.

Last edited:

Puluke

Established Member
DSG2003SVT, where did you find that the base struts and shocks are Bilstein?

Thanks

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I've been digging and digging, and I can't find where I got that information. I read it a while back, but there's just so little info out there for the base suspension. I'll keep looking.

Here's a picture of the label for a base GT350 rear shock:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451787548.566602.jpg

Last edited:

Puluke

Established Member
Thank you, the pic tells the story, we are piecing the puzzle together. Mag ride is excellent but it is not the be all end all holey grail of suspension. I'll bet the base handles better then the a Boss Laguna seca. For me, that's more then enough.

It would be enlightening if some reputable car review team would test the base gt350 and post their experience.

Puluke

Established Member
As a Canadian, these cars are not cheap. For a base gt350 the cost rounded up is $65000.00. Track pack option $8100, Tech option $9400. Car cover $475. No other options selected. If I choose a track pack car, the cost is $73434.00 plus tax and dealer fees. I can barely afford the Base car, but before I jump I need to know more about the suspension of the base.

One SVT dealer said the base GT350 suspension will handle no better then a GT performance pack car. I beg to differ. Why? I'll repost the Ford muti media site except on general suspension , read it and thats why I beg to differ:-
"Suspension tuned for maximum performance on road and track
Handling is the performance playground of Shelby GT350, and the car’s suspension is heavily revised to maximize cornering performance.
Shelby Mustang features all-new aluminum front knuckle, hub and bearing assemblies that are stiffer and lighter than the standard parts. Rigid bushings are fitted to the control arms and subframes for improved steering feedback. Heavy-duty bearings are added for increased lateral stiffness. Front and rear antiroll bars are increased in diameter for improved body control. In an example of obsession to detail, one side of the rear suspension features a new counter-wound rear spring and matching rear control arm so the left and right sides are mirror images – perfecting wheel motion." From this thread we have concluded that the base GT350 has gas shocks and struts. So WTF is wrong with just getting a base car for around town fun and owning something that gives you pride?

All I want to do is replace my 13 Boss 302. Out of all the GT 5.0 mustangs, shelby's and camaro's I’ve owned, I miss the boss! I'm a blue oval boy, Time to move on and upgrade. Hence, this is why a base car would fill the need to replace my 13 Boss 302. I'm held back by the nagging lack of base suspension information. All I want to do is scoot around town in what I think is a really cool car, that when I see it or I get in it, it feels unique and special. Thats it. (As we know, the 2015 GT 5.0 with PP already wins over the now outdated Boss in stock configuration.)

I'm putting a challenge out to companies like Steeda,CJ pony parts, American muscle, MMR, etc to show what they can do with a base GT350 suspension.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I don't think you're going to be disappointed in the performance of the base car compared to a GTPP or Boss. There have been a few guys that went from a GTPP to a base 350, and they've said it handles much better, corners flatter, and drives like a completely different car.

Puluke

Established Member
Dsg2003svt, can you convince any base owner folks to comment on this thread? Your comments help reassure me that the base gt350 is adequate.

One dealer said if I ordered a base car, that I would have to put 5g non refundable down as it would be difficult to sell, without one of the two available packages. Does the dealer make more for selling a package?

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Dsg2003svt, can you convince any base owner folks to comment on this thread? Your comments help reassure me that the base gt350 is adequate.

One dealer said if I ordered a base car, that I would have to put 5g non refundable down as it would be difficult to sell, without one of the two available packages. Does the dealer make more for selling a package?

Any options that they can add on will make them more money.

I'm going to PM you some links to threads started by base package owners from another forum. I'd post them here, but sometimes that's frowned upon. I'll have them to you before the end of the day.

One of them was a 2015 GTPP owner, and one of them was a Boss owner. So, you should be able to gauge pretty well what you're looking for by their thoughts.

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
Not that my opinion matters but id prefer to get a base over the overpriced magnaride option, id rather spend that money on professional coilovers than an electronic shock that just makes the ride smoother on the street. Then again living in alberta you may really want magnaride for your terrible roads lol

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Not that my opinion matters but id prefer to get a base over the overpriced magnaride option, id rather spend that money on professional coilovers than an electronic shock that just makes the ride smoother on the street. Then again living in alberta you may really want magnaride for your terrible roads lol

If Ford made the Magneride a stand alone option like GM does, it would be an easier pill to swallow. Only including it in these $6,500-$7,500 packages really makes me think long and hard about Tech vs. Track vs. Base. I'm leaning more toward the Tech package than anything right now.

I'll probably never need the extra coolers for the track. I prefer Recaros, but I can take or leave them. The cleaner dash layout, heated and cooled seats, automatic climate control, and Sync 3 with navigation are all things I really would like when spending $50-$60K on a car. I'll be 99.9% street driving anyway. When I do track it, I won't be pushing the car hard enough to hurt it at my skill level.

blk02edge

Established Member
Yea I agree, I have only sat in the tech pack and while the seats are nice they don't hold me well enough. Ford doesn't offer the 100% correct gt350 for me however the base would be the closest. (my mind has changed 100x) So I'll be waiting a few years when prices come down and maybe more option tuning will be possible

Users who are viewing this thread