Gt Mod Help!?

ib6-ub9

Established Member
Im in college right now so i dont have the money for any type of forced induction, so i was wondering what else i can do to get the car running good until i can. One of the first things is exhaust and lowering . Next i would like gears and some new rear tires. I was wondering how big of a tire i can fit on my stock rim and about how much gears would cost and which ones i should get. Other than these mods what else could i do for relatively cheap that would see some positive gains, thanks for your input!! I need help:smmon:

Last edited:

hj16

Established Member
Gears: 4.10s www.GEFracing.com best price out there $139
Nitto DRs 275s
Short throw Shifter
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys

Those will get you going in the right direction.

Last edited:

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
From experience your best bet is traction and gear to start. When I run into a similar car as yours at the track the main prob is getting them out of the hole. Because of my auto, nittos, and gear I usually get out pretty good right off the bat.

Use the advice above for a start. I would say to go with at least 4:10 gears and possibly 4:30's to take advantage of your high revs. CAI is always a good option and a good gain for the dollar. Header and exhaust is always nice after you have addressed the above.

ib6-ub9

Established Member
Thanks for the advice, how is that just the price for the gears, how much would the install be and how long would that take.

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Originally posted by hj16
Gears: 4.10s www.GRFracing.com best price out there $139
Nitto DRs 275s
Short throw Shifter
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys

The latter plus some Bassani or Magnaflow exhaust will really make your GT come alive. $139 is a good price for 4.10's, and about the install...im assuming you will have someone else do it? Id recommend finding someone local (if you know anyone) or just call around to a few reputable shops. Install at a shop should cost anywhere from $350-$450.

white99gt

Established Member
Mods that can be done on a budget:

catback-flowmaster(my favorite)
o\r hpipe (some perfer x pipes but they make almost the same power on N\A cars).
Longtubes(bbk or mac)
pullies(steeda is the best)
shifter(pro 5.0 or triax)
gears(4:10 or 3:73's)

Tbody-before you ask is a waste on a N\A car.
Tires-275's fit but you will get almost the same footprint out of a 255\45\17 (older cobra tire size).

THis is a good place to start.Think about what you want so you dont have to spend the money twice.

AKA want long tubes wait to get the o\r pipe till you get the longtubes.

ib6-ub9

Established Member
Thanks alot, question, will the o/r h pipe pass emissions? I was thinking 275's i saw some on this other guys gt and they looked pretty damn good, not sure about the brand though. As far as exhaust how does the magnaflow sound, i do like the bassani and i have heard alot of good reviews. I think the hardest part for me is choosing the exhaust. Thanks for the input, i need all the help i can get so i dont make the mistake of buying something i dont like and then have to change it. Could exhaust gears tires shifter and lowering be had for around 2,000?

white99gt

Established Member
I see you are in houston the o\r wont pass emissions.You need a catted pipe for that.

gears and install should be around 500.00 .lowering depending on springs and labor -400 or so .And the rest can be used for the shifter ,pullies,and a catback.

A good performance shop in houston is houston performance.

http://www.houstonperformance.com/

Last edited:

joegt38

Established Member
Fallow my sig. it will wake up your GT a little. But as far as my sig goes I just lowered my N/X shot to 30 and added a SQ trim and a power pipe , MSD and a vortech tuned chip too put it all together.

white99gt

Established Member
Originally posted by joegt38
Fallow my sig. it will wake up your GT a little. But as far as my sig goes I just lowered my N/X shot to 30 and added a SQ trim and a power pipe , MSD and a vortech tuned chip too put it all together.

I hope you arent running it to hard on the vortech chip.Most of the supercharger factory chips suck.
I suggest getting a custom dyno tune to be safe.

You running a 30 shot and a blower on a stock bottomend?

joegt38

Established Member
Yes the vortech chip is just to keep it running ok till I get it dyno tuned.

Yes 30 shot on it shouldn't hurt with the s/c , two of my friends have the same set up. The one on his 2000 beats the hell out of it and had no problems yet. I might not use it at all. I had the N/X kit in it for a while now thats why I left it, I just put a smaller shot just in case I do need to use it. I guess it all depends on what I dyno without the n20. What do you guys think I will dyno with my set up without the n20? Im hoping to be close to 400rwhp.

white99gt

Established Member
Yes the vortech chip is just to keep it running ok till I get it dyno tuned.

Yes 30 shot on it shouldn't hurt with the s/c , two of my friends have the same set up. The one on his 2000 beats the hell out of it and had no problems yet. I might not use it at all. I had the N/X kit in it for a while now thats why I left it, I just put a smaller shot just in case I do need to use it. I guess it all depends on what I dyno without the n20. What do you guys think I will dyno with my set up without the n20? Im hoping to be close to 400rwhp.

With your mods depends on the tuner,I say 370.

Your buddy doing that on a stcok bottomend is just a accident waiting to happen.Our bottom ends are not that strong.BUt again its not mine.I built mine so i dont have any failures.

joegt38

Established Member
What did you do to build it? I will do it to be on the safe side. And what kinda prices to have it done?? Thanks for any info. I know a few people pushing around 400rwhp without having a built bottomend but like I said Iwant to keep my car so I will do it.

white99gt

Established Member
What did you do to build it? I will do it to be on the safe side. And what kinda prices to have it done?? Thanks for any info. I know a few people pushing around 400rwhp without having a built bottomend but like I said Iwant to keep my car so I will do it.

You can run 400rwhp on a stock bottomend but adding NOS to the blower on a stock bottomend is asking for trouble.

The EASIEST way is to find a a used motor or buy a shortblock.That way you can build it while still driving the car(i did mine that way).I went from n\a (270rwhp) to blown in a weekend(463rwhp first tune).

MY setup cost about 5k ,that includes cams and all .I have a machine shop that backs all my motor stuff so i get a lot of stuff at cost.

But my motor includes:
cp pistons(coated)
eagle rods
cobra crank
cobra oil pump w\billet gears
arp main studs
balanced to 1\4 gram
moroso oil pan
P&P heads 220~198 flow
ferria valves
comp cam springs
custom comp cams
arp head studs

If you take the time and build it right you wont have a lot of problems.

10k miles on mine and trouble free so far.

RARE_BLUE_GT

Established Member
Magnaflow sounds really good.... I have it on my 2000GT... Magnaflow is quiet on idel, But really loud when you punch it..... I like...

Users who are viewing this thread