GT-500 weight

fordification

Established Member
Has anyone heard any official weight? Did anyone catch the Hot Rod article with the 12 second GT? They dropped the GT's weight down to 3100lbs.

"Simplify and add lightness. It's an old racing adage, and in the case of the new Mustang, these stock springs, shocks, coilover front struts, and rear upper and lower three-link control arms were replaced with lighter, more dragstrip-friendly parts. The nonadjustable, chassis-mounted third link was replaced with this adjustable upper link with solid bushings. Pinion angle was set to 2.5 degrees negative. The new Mustang's rearend is based on the venerable 8.8-inch unit, and currently available gearsets and differentials are interchangeable. PHP swapped the stock 3.27s for 4.30:1 gears and an Eaton carbon-fiber-clutch limited-slip and beefed the rearend with custom Moser 31-spline axles and a Ford Racing aluminum cover. Also note the PHP-fabricated adjustable Panhard rod (A), square-tube support truss (B), and housing braces (C)."

I think it's only realistic that the 500's estimated weight of 3800lbs could be reduced a little.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
~3700lbs sounds about right to me. Bigger engine, more/heavier body kit for looks, bigger tires, bigger transmission, and probably fancier interior all add weight. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the mustang is a unibody car which makes it difficult to shave weight from the structure. I just can't see it weighing less than the last gen cobras.

Last edited:

rphinney

Established Member
Sure the could cut the weight down to 3400, if HTT decides they need to swap out each and every suspension component on the car. I think the 3700 Estimate is fair. Obviously this car is going to be all around "nicer" than it's GT cousin, so weight will be added to body, wheels, and interior as well as obviously the motor, I am sure some of the upgraded suspension components will be weight friendly but not to the tune of what this article is doing.

mustangsnoopy

Established Member
wont be any shaker1000 or 1500(whatever its called) stereo system for me, if its an option on the gt500, that subwoofer in the trunk probably adds another 20 pounds of weight and ive heard it in an 05 gt, not worth $1200

jshen

Established Member
Stereo?

mustangsnoopy said:
wont be any shaker1000 or 1500(whatever its called) stereo system for me, if its an option on the gt500, that subwoofer in the trunk probably adds another 20 pounds of weight and ive heard it in an 05 gt, not worth $1200

don't know that I've turned mine on 15 times......I've never put in a CD...I'd rather listen to the motor......... :banana: :banana: :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread