GT 500 Actual Corner Weights

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Before you know it they would be like the 3-fast 3-furious crowd sticking a Nissan engine in a Mustang?!? :nonono: :nono:

Let's just not go there? :fart:

If you're so in love with the engine, just but a Corvette?!?! :lol1:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
2-slow said:
Yeah it's a killer engine...but not in a GT500 like some said.:xpl: No crossbreeding.

Yeah, there are some things you just can't do.

Although most of those old hot rods, no matter what make seem to have SBC in them.

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Before you know it they would be like the 3-fast 3-furious crowd sticking a Nissan engine in a Mustang?!? :nonono: :nono:

Let's just not go there? :fart:

If you're so in love with the engine, just but a Corvette?!?! :lol1:

My car interests started with the Hybrid Nissan/Datsun community. SBC's, SBF's, RB's, 2JZ's, and even a Jag V12 in S30 Z's. I don't care what motor goes where as long as its an improvement. I think it would be fun just to piss people off.

BTW, not that it mattes, but I liked the Skyline motor in the Mustang. Different, way more power than an original inline-6, and fit in with the storyline. You try finding SBF or BBF parts in Japan.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
moridin2004 said:
My car interests started with the Hybrid Nissan community. SBC's, SBF's, RB's, 2JZ's, and even a Jag V12. I don't care what motor goes where as long as its an improvement. I think it would be fun just to piss people off.

BTW, not that it mattes, but I liked the Skyline motor in the Mustang. Different, way more power than an original inline-6, and fit in with the storyline. You try finding SBF or BBF parts in Japan.

I can see by your vehicles you can relate a lot more to it than I can? Not that one is good and one is bad, we just come from two completely different backgrounds! :thumbsup:

I grew up putting a modded 406 police intercepter motor in my first car. Have always lived by the rule, "There is no replacement for diplacement"

Also had a 37 Willy's B-Gas pick-um-up with a 392 Chrysler Hemi bored and stroked to 417. So, I'm all about American V-8 horsepower! :-D

I like four cylinders too. I have one on my motorhome and it powers my 10kw generator! ;-)

Last edited:

californiacuda

Established Member
There's no replacement for forced induction, you can turn a pussycat into a buldog, with not alot of effort.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
californiacuda said:
There's no replacement for forced induction, you can turn a pussycat into a buldog, with not alot of effort.

Now that I've gotten the drag racing out of my system and have completed the conversion to a road racing junkie, I would NEVER seriously track or race a forced induction car with the exception of possibly a turbo?

I can generate plenty of heat without forced induction! Trust me! :-D

2-slow

Say what?
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Also had a 37 Willy's B-Gas pick-um-up with a 392 Chrysler Hemi bored and stroked to 417. So, I'm all about American V-8 horsepower! :-D
Oh man you have any pics of that?!

ac427cobra said:
I like four cylinders too. I have one on my motorhome and it powers my 10kw generator! ;-)
:lol:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
2-slow said:
Oh man you have any pics of that?!

:lol:

I wish, but unfortunately, no! :( That was long before I had my first Instamatic camera with that crappy 110 film! :bash: The truck was truly a piece of crap but the motor was a work of art! I loved the straight zoomies!

Somewhere I DO have a photo of that 406 engine compartment?!!? A Polaroid nonetheless! :rollseyes

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
All I can say is none of you can whine about weight. I weighed the L on truck scales before a open track event. With me and junk tires (no wheels) it came in at 5020lbs. I will have to add the weight distirbution later because I don't have the sheet with me though. I weight about 210lbs and I am guessing the tires at 120lbs (30lbs/tire) So the weight of the truck is about 4700lbs. Since I make alot less power than the GT500 I would think it rather nice to drive one.
And yes Bruce its just as fun for me to get point by's from mustangs as it is for you to get them from Z06's. (i'm not in Cliff territory to get Z06 point by's)

californiacuda

Established Member
Concerning forced induction and roadracing. What if you threw a turbo and intercooler on a 5.0, or 4.6 and picked up 150 hp easy, with maybe 75 lbs additional weight? Seems like a pretty good trade off to me.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
californiacuda said:
Concerning forced induction and roadracing. What if you threw a turbo and intercooler on a 5.0, or 4.6 and picked up 150 hp easy, with maybe 75 lbs additional weight? Seems like a pretty good trade off to me.

That is true but turbos still require intercoolers and all of that associated hardware adds up. On the wrong (heavy) end of the car.

When you check out the cars that serious racers compete with, you will find perhaps 95% run N/A. There are always exceptions to the rule like a GenIII Mazda with the factory twin turbos removed and a single in it's place.

Running a car at WOT for 30 minutes or more at a time, is a LOT different than running around on the street mashing the gas for six seconds every half hour? :-D

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

bubbrubb

ac427cobra said:
Running a car at WOT for 30 minutes or more at a time, is a LOT different than running around on the street mashing the gas for six seconds every half hour? :-D

six seconds? ...EVERY HALF HOUR?!?!?!!?!!! what the... :lol:

californiacuda

Established Member
So, when you road race you run at wot for 30 min, must be a long track.

I'm putting a Squires rear mount turbo on one of my cars. I know all of the comments about loss of effeciency, but I want to give it a try and see about weight, car balance, hp gain, etc.

I'm going to 4 corner weigh it and dyno tomorrow, then check it after the turbo setup.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i would think there was more FI vehicles racing than 5%, look at all the turbo vehicles out there that are racing. there are quite a few LMP(lemans prototypes) running turbos, not to mention all the turbo and now supercaharged cars running in SCCA/NASA/other racing organizations. the cobalt SS supercharged cars are dominating grand am ST. although i think its pretty clear that turbos are much better for circuit racing.

ive heard everyones theorys about how the STS turbos have humongous lag and stuff, but ive also seen videos and, there is obviously some lag, but not near as much as there should be. i say go for it! and post a video!!!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
VelociTT said:
six seconds? ...EVERY HALF HOUR?!?!?!!?!!! what the... :lol:

You know, driving in city traffic. Terrorizing all the Ricers!?!? :poke:

californiacuda said:
So, when you road race you run at wot for 30 min, must be a long track.

I'm putting a Squires rear mount turbo on one of my cars. I know all of the comments about loss of effeciency, but I want to give it a try and see about weight, car balance, hp gain, etc.

I'm going to 4 corner weigh it and dyno tomorrow, then check it after the turbo setup.

Road America is that type of track. You're at WOT unless you're on the brakes for the corners, the nine seconds of the Carousel and two throttle breathes at turns 7 and 13. For a 2:30 lap I'd say about 2:00 of that is at WOT.

Watkins Glen is similiar and so is VIR.

FWIW

PS Good luck with the turbo install!

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
To add to your comments about power adders on a road course, I can attest to a s/c being a PITA, especially for longer sessions.

I have a twin screw s/c and see significant power drops after long sessions, not to mention coolant and oil temps always on the rise. Then good old detonation sets in if she gets too hot and your tune isn't right on.

IMO, if I wanted a sweet RR car it would definately be N/A

Users who are viewing this thread