GSR hatch vs Ls1 TA

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
this happened late summer 05

Its almost 10pm on a beautiful calm Saturday night. I didn’t have to work this night and I couldn’t be happier. The garage door opens and the quiet neighborhood is awaken by the 80 series Flowmaster, as me and my best friend decided to take the Camaro out for a quick spin on down to the local Sheetz gas station to grab a bite to eat. They got the best sandwiches ever and we usually meet some ppl we know every time we go.

Like a stagecoach driver, the brake pedal screams ‘WHOA’ as I bring the needle down from 110mph on the back stretch of my favorite road, calming the Iroc down as we make way towards the town. Slow rolling on thru the town, we finally arrive at the Sheetz. I throw it in park, power up the windows and kill the 300 horse chevy small block.

On the way out, I hear the all to familiar 4 cylinder sound. I turn to look at a gray civic hatch enters the back entrance and pulls up to pump #5. Door opens and out steps my old friend that I haven’t seen all summer. I yell whats up man and go to check out his ride. It’s a 94 civic hatch with a worked over GSR. From cams to header to catback, this thing was good for 13.6’s on street tires. Apparently he just got it a few weeks ago. We all shoot the shit for awhile and then I tell him “yo man you have to give me a ride in that thing” he’s like “ I’ll run the Iroc” I’m like, “naw man, I’m not cuttin her loose tonight.”

He agrees and we drive on back to my house where I put the black beast to rest for the night. My best friend goes on home to eat his food as I buckle up in the passenger racing seat of a stripped out gray GSR hatch. My civic friend throws the 5speed into reverse, clutches out and we are out of my driveway, and heading out to the main highway that splits right thru town.

After a few runs thru the gears, I’m very impressed with how it pulls. Its topend is strong as VTEC kicks in and the rpms climb to 8 K rpm. I’m like holy shit this pulls harder than my camaro up top... but down low I got him covered as all 400lbft of torque of chevy’s L98 amplified by 2800 stall, punishes the 3.27 posi rear.

We finally get up to a place to turn around to go home and run up to the redlight. The light flashes yellow and my friend brings the rev happy GSR down to idle. As we sit there I see a set of headlights flash off the passenger side mirror as a car comes off the side offramp.

My heart starts to pound harder as I realize what those lights are. The all too familiar LS1 TRANS AM, slowly creeps up the line. Now me being an avid Fbody fan, I know all to well the situation. This civic hatch as light as it is stands no chance against an LS1. My friend is ecstatic, as he realizes this is his first race in the new car and against a worthy opponent. This is the perfect stretch of road in the perfect condtions… 1/2mile long with no place for cops. Its now near midnight, calm….quiet…55 degrees and clear.. You can see every star.

As we stare over the other car, the driver of the TA stares back and gives a nod. We know its on, and an exchange of revs is given as we prepare ourselves mentally and physically for this race. We sit for what feels like eternity. Chuck Norris could have counted to infinity…TWICE in the time we sat there waiting. I tell my friend in a voice of confidence…”your gonna win, he sounds stock” A short pause and as he sits there, while two hands are on the steering wheel, eyes staring straight ahead into the dark..he responds “I’m gonna win”
The opposing lane turns yellow and our daydreaming gaze is snapped back into reality. Adrenaline just hit a 200shot as our excitement is heightened. I’m nervous and I’m not even driving…

Then it happened……the Red light dimmed out in an instant and the green light erupted its glow. My friend smoothly but quickly lets the clutch out at what seemed like my camaro’s redline. The Michelins are fighting to hold ground, but are winning the battle. Minimal wheelspin is achieved..the perfect launch! First gear flys by as the GSR winds out with a banshee like scream. Vtec makes its presence known as it sounds like the world is coming to an end as we approach 8K rpms. The LS1’s mellow tone is barely heard from the stock exhaust as it pulls near even with us. I’m thrown back into the stiff racing seat as my friend bangs second, and again congress sends the Michelins to war against traction as they spin momentarily. BOTH cars are pulling like an APE rapped by Mike Tyson. To my surprise we are dead even going thru second!

The surrounding scenery is turned to a blur and the passing lines on the road have now become one single white line. No, its not cocaine, but it gives the same buzz as Vtec comes alive again in second gear. Then it happened….

I’m in the passenger seat, and my ear drums are about to split as the sound of terrible roar erupts from the LS1 lane. With the flip of a switch, all 350 horses are let loose out the stable thru the electronic exhaust cutout. The gutted hatch shakes violently as the sonic V8 sound waves crash against the car and our poor ears. Quickly 150 more horses follow into the already stampeding herd as the nitrous whip cracks and sends the world into utter chaos. The ram air hood rises a few inches and the 17 inch radials scream for mercy as my mouth drops in sheer amazement at this raw display of BRUTALITY. I think my heart stopped. It was like Chuck Norris and his roundhouse…. Even VTEC doesnt stand a chance.

By the time my friend thought about 3rd gear, the Trans AM was already shutting down 4 carlengths ahead….

Needless to say, it was a quiet ride home. We pull into my driveway and we sit there for a few quiet seconds…. “maybe we should have went from a roll?” I mention to him as he stares straight ahead. He slowly turns, and sighs and lets out a smile. I can see from the look in his eyes that he plans an evil revenge.

By this summer, the hatch should have over 400whp. LOL

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Again nice job.
Are you the same guy that wrote up the story about racing your moms VW turbo beetle?

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
haha no i didnt race my moms car. she dont have a beetle

thanks for the compliments

Users who are viewing this thread