GSD3 315/35/17, AFS 10.5 combo still work after lowering?

Silver03

Established Member
I have a set of GSD3 285/40/17s on order but I am really thinking that I want to go with 315s on the back. From what I have read on here, the 315s will work on the 10.5 AFS wheels, bulging slightly. I gather that a 1/4" hub centric spacer is desirable with this combo too. So, all that said...I plan on lowering the car eventually, will this setup still be alright after installing a set of H&R SS springs? Thanks in advance!

ModsAway

Established Member
Should be ok... and the 315's do not bulge on a 10.5 inch rim.

My tires sit under my fenders and would probably rub with H&R's but I'm running a 1" wheel adapter. You could roll the fender if necessary.

ModsAway

Established Member
ddurnan said:
you shouldn't need the spacer once you lower it...

I found i still needed a spacer....

All it would take is go over a good unexpected dip/slope to extend the suspension and BANG there goes your tire, no thanks. With some of the more aggressive springs (H&R) maybe this margin of saftey is more but for me a 1" margin allows me to be nuts and not worry.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I can tell you that several people with this combo (315 GS-D3s and AFS 10.5" wheels) needed a 3/8" spacer and shaved bolt head to get that combo to fit on a NON-lowered Cobra. You'll pick up some space when you lower the car, but I can't tell you if it will be enough to clear those huge meats without at least a little spacer. You might not know for sure until you try it.

Just be aware that GS-D3s are among the widest 315s out there. Here's a chart of ACTUAL measured section widths (some of those published specs are not accurate)...

TIRES.gif

Silver03

Established Member
Thanks Top Fuel. I bit the bullet and changed the order to 315s and ordered a 1" bolt on spacer. I ordered the springs too, I hope it looks mean as hell!

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
The only problem you might have with 1" spacers and 315s is this:

That 1" spacer will move the rear wheel/tire out flush with the top of the rear fender...kind of like the way the stock wheels/tires fit in the front fenders. If you slam the rear of the car with SS springs, you may liekly end up rubbing the rear fenderwell lip on big bumps or dips.

Maybe ModsAway can comment on this since he's running a similar combo...

-Greg

ModsAway

Established Member
ModsAway said:
My tires sit under my fenders and would probably rub with H&R's but I'm running a 1" wheel adapter. You could roll the fender if necessary.

Quoting myself.... wierd.

With the H&R springs you may run into an issue as the 315's with a 1" spacer will sit flush with the fender. I will be very interested to here your results though because in the future I will be swapping the rear springs for H&R's as the Eibach's with rubber isolators are still a little high for my liking.

I have been debating how to get around this... either run a slightly smaller tire, slightly smaller spacer, or take my chances :eek:

Silver03

Established Member
I now have the 315s, 10.5s and adapters on the car and it looks pretty good. I'd like to be able to take the spacers off after lowering it but I'm not sure that is going to be able to happen since the edge of the tires is actually farther outside the quarter panel. I first tried to mount the tires without the adapters and it wasnt even close to fitting. Even under load, the tire was flush against the IRS bolt and the portion of the IRS that the bolt is connected to.

Stangd, as far as how the adapter works, it just bolts to the hub and the rim bolts to the spacer.

I'll post some pics If i can find somewhere to host them.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Silver03 said:
I'd like to be able to take the spacers off after lowering it but I'm not sure that is going to be able to happen...
Maybe after you lower it you can go with some smaller spacers like THESE.

-Greg

Silver03

Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
Maybe after you lower it you can go with some smaller spacers like THESE.

-Greg

Yup, I definitely will give those a shot. I was reading up on those...correct me if I'm wrong, but those are the only true hubcentic spacers that are out right now arent they? And are those the ones that are designed specifically for AFS wheels? Like I said, I may be wrong.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Silver03 said:
...correct me if I'm wrong, but those are the only true hubcentic spacers that are out right now arent they?
Yes. Those are the only hubcentric spacers (under 1/2" thick) that are hubcentric.

And are those the ones that are designed specifically for AFS wheels?
No. LFP's spacers are supposed to work with AFS, Wheel Rplicas, and other wheels. Only the old "Undy" spacers were meant specifically for AFS wheels...and you can't get them any more.

-Greg

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
Silver03 said:
I now have the 315s, 10.5s and adapters on the car and it looks pretty good. I'd like to be able to take the spacers off after lowering it but I'm not sure that is going to be able to happen since the edge of the tires is actually farther outside the quarter panel. I first tried to mount the tires without the adapters and it wasnt even close to fitting. Even under load, the tire was flush against the IRS bolt and the portion of the IRS that the bolt is connected to.

Stangd, as far as how the adapter works, it just bolts to the hub and the rim bolts to the spacer.

I'll post some pics If i can find somewhere to host them.

Thanks,

I was wondering if they would fit on my car without spacers so I went out last night and tried to put them on and for some reason they fit?? Am I missing something?? Does anybody elses fit without spacers?

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
stangd1909 said:
I was wondering if they would fit on my car without spacers so I went out last night and tried to put them on and for some reason they fit??
You have 315-35-17 GS-D3s on AFS 10.5" wheels and they fit without wheel spacers on your '03-'04 Cobra?

Is your car lowered?
Do you have an early-build '03?
Did you test-fit them on both sides of the car?

-Greg

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
Yes, bt I have not tried to drive it yet. It has been raining all night and all day so far so I have not had a chance to drive, could that make the difference? No my car is not lowered. nad yes they are on both sides right now.

Last edited:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
stangd1909 said:
I'm not sure what you mean when you answered "yes" to my previous post. Just so I understand...are you saying "yes" to ALL of the following statements:

• You have 315-35-17 GS-D3s on AFS 10.5" wheels on a '03-'04 Cobra...
  • Your car is not lowered...
  • You have these wheels/tires on both sides of the car with the car sitting on the ground at normal ride height...
  • Your inner sidewalls clear the IRS frame without any wheel spacers...

Silver03

Established Member
That is pretty weird that yours fit no problem. I was told that some other guys have no problem with them and not having spacers...stange indeed because mine werent even close.

Users who are viewing this thread