GS-D3 vs Nitto 555

Brucealeg

Established Member
I am looking to get 285 DS-G3 or 315 Nitto 555's. I'm curious which people find to be the better tire. I am looking for good traction and the car is a daily driver.

Also, I've heard conflicting reports on weather the 315 Nitto can be used on the stock wheel and clear the IRS bolt safely. Are these safe to use on stock rear wheels?

I have two tires with a slow leak, so I am in need of new tires soon.

Bruce

fubu795

Banned
I have the nittos and they are on the stock wheel and fit great. There's about a 1/2 inch clearance from hitting the IRS, but they do fit. I've been told to run between 26-28 lbs in them for good tire life, I've compromised and went for 27 lbs. Have put almost 1k of them and all is great. When the tires are at 40 degrees or higher in temp, they hook like there's no tomorrow, pulley and al. I love these tires and will definitly buy them again once these are bald. I got them from discountiredirect.com for 185 each. Hope this helps!

cobra101

Established Member
I am on my second set of nitto's and they are great. They fit with no problem. Mine did not even rub when the suspension was lifted.

Now, I did try and order the gs-d3s before this second set of nitto's but they were backordered for a couple of weeks. I couldn't wait that long (steel belts starting to come through), so I bought another set of nitto's. I heard good things about the gs-d3s so one day I will try them, probably in another 7k miles :)

Ps. I have seen a wide gap in prices for the gs-d3s. First a local discount tire quoted me 330.00 a tire. Then I saw them mail-order on the net for 224.00 plus S&H. Finally I found a local tire place who was not bound to his discount tire company pricing policy. He offered them to me for 199.00 a tire (plus tax, mount, balance, etc..). I had to skip it because like I said they were backordered. Ohh, the nitto's were 174.00 a piece.

Brucealeg

Established Member
You guys are running the 315's (Nitto 555) with no rubbing and they aren't lose in the wheel? A heard a couple say they couldn't keep tire balance because the tire was to large for the stock wheel, so they moved in the wheel. I just want to be 100% sure, before I buy.

The GS-D3 have superior wet performance, and living in Florida that is a bonus. How are the Nittos in the wet? Are they at least better then the F1s?

Bruce

Last edited:

predator

Established Member
I have 315 DRs on stock rims....no modifications needed or any issues at all to report. I run street at 26psi. I have about 2.6k miles on them and they are wearing fine.

cobra101

Established Member
I have to say that the nitto's are not good in the rain. I mean they are not the worst but I am SURE the gs-d3s are superior in the rain. Being you're in florida I may lean toward the gs-d3s. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Try one now and the other on your next set of tires. then you'll know exactly which is better for your driving style and conditions.

Once again, I do love my nitto's :)

Ps. I took an uneven turn real fast one time and I heard what I thought was a rub of tire. I can not see any evidence of this and it was only once in over 9,000 miles with the nitto's. I still don't know if it was the nitto's rubbing or not.

Brucealeg

Established Member
Any other opinions? How much better would tracktion on a Nitton be over the GS? Enough to cancel outs the GS's wet performance?

Bruce

Last edited:

Brucealeg

Established Member
I wish Tirerack sold Nittos, so I could get a performance rating comparison. Tire.com doesn't have as good a rating system.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread