Ground cable??

captthunderpnts

Established Member
P5wOIOil.png

I stretched my engine build so long that I am having trouble remembering where certain wires/vacuum lines go for sure. Instinct tells me that this is a ground wire that should go right on the engine.

Can anyone confirm or deny my suspicion?

As always, thanks in advance!

captthunderpnts

Established Member
could be wrong but I thought that one went to the frame rail

I thought that initially while I was having a meditation session on my creeper last night, but I realized that it would never reach the frame, unless somehow the wire got pulled the opposite way in the harness while it was disconnected.

As far as a frame ground, I am aware of the one that goes from the LH motor mount to the frame, as I gracefully snapped that one while removing the engine a couple months ago. Luckily, my replacement braided wire does, in fact, reach the stock location.

captthunderpnts

Established Member
It looks like a ground cable, got a test light or ohm meter?

Yeah I've got a meter. I just want to know where it is supposed to go originally.

Also tidbit: there's a similar wire with a grey jacket that goes to the side of the fuse box on a HOT lead that was originally thought to be a ground. Fortunately, I haven't caught anything on fire yet after wiring it like I saw on my friend's 96.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
As far as a frame ground, I am aware of the one that goes from the LH motor mount to the frame, as I gracefully snapped that one while removing the engine a couple months ago. Luckily, my replacement braided wire does, in fact, reach the stock location.

thats the one I was thinking of

98BABCobra

Established Member
That shares the same bolt that the frame rail ground strap attaches to on the motor mount.

On a side note, I would recommend putting a lock washer on that bolt. I kept having sporadic starting issues and it was because that bolt kept loosening up. Since I added a lock washer I've not had any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread