Groaning noise during low-speed turns

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I picked up a '10 GT500 a few months ago and notice that when turning at low speeds (say, creeping into a driveway) there is a low but noticeable "groaning" noise that sounds as though it's coming from the front end somethere.

Anyone have an idea what this might be, and whether this is an issue that's common to these cars? Thanks!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
am I correct to think that the GT500 didn't get electric powered steering until the 2011 model?

If so, and you have a groan, a fluid upgrade can eliminate it.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
You sure its not coming from the back of car? It could be the clutch packs in the rear end. I know my 09 does/did it. Just get louder exhaust and don't worry about it. :rockon:

Supposeably if you add friction modifier to the rear end it will help quite it down.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
You sure its not coming from the back of car? It could be the clutch packs in the rear end. I know my 09 does/did it. Just get louder exhaust and don't worry about it. :rockon:

Supposeably if you add friction modifier to the rear end it will help quite it down.

/\ this - there is a TSB out on the issue - IDK if it applies to 2010s but it was on earlier GT 8.8s

Van@RevanRacing

I picked up a '10 GT500 a few months ago and notice that when turning at low speeds (say, creeping into a driveway) there is a low but noticeable "groaning" noise that sounds as though it's coming from the front end somethere.

Anyone have an idea what this might be, and whether this is an issue that's common to these cars? Thanks!

Take a flash light and open the power steering reservoir cap. Shine the light down into the reservoir. If you see shiny metal like pieces whirling around in the reservoir then your power steering pump could be failing.

Van

slocum1946

singularity
Established Member
Take a flash light and open the power steering reservoir cap. Shine the light down into the reservoir. If you see shiny metal like pieces whirling around in the reservoir then your power steering pump could be failing.

Van

and if you don't see metal pieces your engine is destroyed and you need a new one- call Van...

oldlugs

Established Member
The carbon fiber differential clutch disks get jammed together when you get on it and shift hard. Normal driving around and turning will loosen them up again, as should driving some gentle "figure 8s". As soon as you get on it hard again, the clutches will jam together, and the rear will again make a groan or "dying whale" sound when driving tight turns. Both my '08 Bullitt and '09 KR have the identical rear end, and they both make that sound. No big deal. I wouldn't add friction modifier to quiet it...

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If it's the hydraulic PS pump making the noise, swap to Amsoil ATF....groan gone. Ford specs ATF for the power steering pumps in their cars. FYI, my 2008 GT had metal shavings in the pump (initial wear metals) and it ran 100% quiet with Amsoil for 3 years.

If it's the rear differential, change the gear oil to Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 with Slip Lock Friction Modifier....grone gone (will never return).

Last edited:

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
This is what the Ford Friction Modifier is for. Just pull the plug in the diff and squeeze in a bottle. You will prematurly wear the diff clutch packs if you dont.

Go find a parking lot and do slow tight turns and then gradually make them bigger and you should hear it stop. Thats the clutch packs in the limited slip rear. Have someone stand in the inside of the circle and I bet they will tell you its the rear.

Last edited:

Semtex

Established Member
I have it in my 2010. I added 1 bottle of friction modifier to the rear and it reduced the sound but it is still there. Funny, now I rather like it. :banana:

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
I know this i old, I too have the noise around my right front. I dont believe it has anything to do with the trans, ps pump, or rear diff. I had the problem in my 2010 GT, dealer couldn't find a problem, i rotated the tires and it stopped. I cant test that theory with the GT 500 because cant rotate the tires. If you know someone with another stang, borrow the front tires and test that theory. Just my 2 cents.
Keep us posted.

Crowe

Established Member
I have a 10' and have replaced the rearend oil and used multiple bottles of the friction modifier and still have the groan. You can actually feel both tires pulling when going around a really slow tight turn. Not sure what to do next.

DirtyMcArthur

BIG RED
Established Member
My 2011 just started doing it the other day and it only just broke 2k miles. I hardly believe the ps pump could go in such a short time so I'm thinking along the lines of the rear end although I've been driving it gently and it hasn't faded. It did start up after I was driving it like a douche though, hard shifts and all

Kevin P

Established Member
My 2010 does it too. I have successfully ignored it for over 25k miles, and its not hurt anything yet.

einehund

Established Member
my 2010 does it. It is DEFINATELY the front end groaning... I figured it was the weight of so much badassery over the front wheels and have learned to ignore it by not EVER going slow... LOL... no, seriously, I've been ignoring it for about 5k miles.

mullens

Established Member
The carbon fiber differential clutch disks get jammed together when you get on it and shift hard. Normal driving around and turning will loosen them up again, as should driving some gentle "figure 8s". As soon as you get on it hard again, the clutches will jam together, and the rear will again make a groan or "dying whale" sound when driving tight turns. Both my '08 Bullitt and '09 KR have the identical rear end, and they both make that sound. No big deal. I wouldn't add friction modifier to quiet it...

+1. Leave it alone...just one of those things that's the nature of the beast.

backinastang

Established Member
I have it and it gets worse when it's cold and turning slowly. I took it in and they said it was the carbon fiber clutches. It already had the additive so they suggested I live with it. More additive prevents the clutches from engaging properly. It sucks but ford claims its normal on 3.73 svvtt option cars. Sorry

Users who are viewing this thread