grinding sound when turning at speed

darksykal

Established Member
Hey guys
car has 12k miles and long tubes and McCloud 1200 clutch were just installed.

I noticed the car now makes a grinding sound and you can feel it through the wheel whenever you turn hard at higher speeds.

i looked all around and don't see any visible rubbing anywhere.

I also just noticed that when the clutch peddle is pressed in, the sound goes away completely.

have you guys ever experienced this?

any help appreciated.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I would think it is header related with the side forces and something contacting the headers. Start looking......

Tom

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
" I also just noticed that when the clutch peddle is pressed in, the sound goes away completely. "
Who did the install ??

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Put your foot on the clutch when making that turn. Don't press in just look for and vibrations. Cable may be rubbing against something when turning.

darksykal

Established Member
Turns out it's my steering shaft rubbing on the headers since they're not in perfect spec. smdh
getting a thinner steering shaft at this point since it's a lot simpler than taking the headers off and sending back to kooks.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Turns out it's my steering shaft rubbing on the headers since they're not in perfect spec. smdh
getting a thinner steering shaft at this point since it's a lot simpler than taking the headers off and sending back to kooks.
Can you elaborate how the headers were not in perfect spec? Or is it just that simple, as you stated? Out of spec, period? If so cool

Based on our sig, kooks?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Can you elaborate how the headers were not in perfect spec? Or is it just that simple, as you stated? Out of spec, period? If so cool

Based on our sig, kooks?

He stated Kooks in the last sentence...

darksykal

Established Member
yeah they're kooks (ceramic coated 1 & 7/8")
they just sometimes come without being a perfect fitment- and mine were unfortunately one of them that don't fit just right and it was slightly touching/rubbing the steering shaft. every other area has (slight) clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread