Grinding Sound in 2nd Gear Only

Andrew_V

Established Member
Alright,

I just bought a 1997 Mustang Cobra. Still trying to get a grasp on what if anything is wrong with it. Seems in good condition, but one of the things I've noticed has to do with the clutch or transmission. It's got a Centerforce Dual friction clutch and a relatively new transmission. For some reason, when I go to shift from 1st to second gear, it grinds as I pop it into second. It doesn't do it for any other gear, and I've noticed that after I have driven the car for a little while, it doesn't do it anymore. Any thoughts on what it could be or a way to fix it?

Thanks.

KILRSVT

Established Member
Drain the oil on the trans make sure it has the correct oil and not gear lube( I have bought trans that idiots put gear lube on) It should have dexron III. If the oil is really filled with metallic particles , the synchronizer has been getting chewed out. make sure the clutch play is good it. Is the cable stretched? If all this is good, then your tranny is probably starting to go out. Is the tranny new as in brand new or a used replacement? Good luck hope to be of some help. As the synchronizer wears out more and the more it gets chewed out , the harder its going to be to shift.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
When you change the fluid add a bottle of friction modifier with it. Mine used to grind and it solved the problem for me.

Users who are viewing this thread