greg weld dragstars

1999riocobra

Established Member
ok guys, im sure this has been beat to death a thousand times, but i can only find info on weld wheels. i have a 99 cobra that i swapped to a straight axle, anyway i bought a set of 15x10" greg weld dragstar wheels and i'd like to keep my cobra rear brakes, i just cant see how i can grind that much off of my brakes. i already have the low profile banjo bolts, but they dont seem to be an issue even with the stock banjo bolts in. anybody have any experience with the 15x10 greg weld dragstar wheels? if someone has fit them on their cobra rear brakes please post up some pics and let me know how much you had to grind to get them to fit. if all else fails ill just downgrade to gt brakes, but id rather not.
on a positive note, i have 17x4.5" dragstars on the front of my cobra and they fit perfectly! here is a pic of them:

002-25.jpg

003-24.jpg

thanks for any help guys!
Ken

Jamie R.

Established Member
I like the way the front wheels look and fit! I got two of those front wheels the other day also. What tires and lug nuts did you use?

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

mustang_guy

Established Member
Looks good.
Did you have trouble getting the lug nuts on? I did on my 15 inch greg welds two years ago. Worst design ever

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
i heard the 15" gregs are extremely hard to fit on most late model cars. The new manufacturer of these wheels supposedly changed the design to make 'em fit better.

I don't understand why WELD or other companies don't make cheaper wheels that will fit cobra rear brakes. 16s would clear fine, but they don't make a lot of 16 wheels or tires.

1999riocobra

Established Member
yeah thats what im thinking, i have grinded on the rear brakes pretty good already and they arent even close to fitting. i guess its gt rear brakes for me.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Cheap alternative is some 16' v6 or gt wheels for the rear. You guys know these greg weld skinnys were on sale for 99.50 a piece at summit??? I got two. The sale might be off now, I'm not sure.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
I did get me some fronts but I passed on the rear because of fitment issues.

As far as V6 wheels go what is the width of most 99-04 wheels? and what size tire should be run on 'em?

Jamie R.

Established Member
The only reason I got the fronts were to get away from my dang spacers I was using with my bogarts, I never had a real confident feeling with those spacers.
KXT, the gt 16's are more than likely 8' wide, I'm not sure about the 6 bangers. I'll look and see what size et streets are on my 16' gt wheels and let you know what size they are, they hook pretty good because my buddy with a 600 rwhp term engine swapped saleen ran a high 10 with them and he said they hooked great.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
i heard the 15" gregs are extremely hard to fit on most late model cars. The new manufacturer of these wheels supposedly changed the design to make 'em fit better.

I don't understand why WELD or other companies don't make cheaper wheels that will fit cobra rear brakes. 16s would clear fine, but they don't make a lot of 16 wheels or tires.

Welds new RTS wheels will fit over Cobra rear brakes, the only problem is fitting them with IRS cars. The brakes are not the problem with clearance with a 15" wheel and Cobra brakes in the rear, the IRS is. As for 16" tires, MT makes a bias ply slick and drag radial both in 16" diameters.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Sorry I'm getting back late with ya on this kxt, but the rear tire size on the 16's I have is 26-10.50-16 mickey t et streets and the wheels are 16x7.5 if I was reading the writing on the wheel correctly. Another good set of track tires is some 275-40-17 mickey t drag radials if you have a spare set of 17's laying around.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
thanks for the update. Would ET streets be too much for an '01 w/ front and rear braces.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Et streets and slicks are actaully easier on the irs than drag radials. Maybe that answered your question, I'm not sure what braces your talking about though.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
The 03/04 front diff mount and a billetflow rear brace.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Not a problem with those braces. I have the same braces on my car. If you have'nt been to the track very much you might end up liking dr's better because they do not let the car move around whereas a bias ply tire will a little.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Users who are viewing this thread