Grattan Raceway in a Lightning

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Went up to Grattan raceway this past weekend since it is all of 15 minutes from my house. I've never driven there before so I requested an instructor for the first couple sessions. The first session I just followed him in his car to get a feel for the line. The second session he rode with me to give me a little more help. He then set me free to see how bad I could screw it up:-D

Well I was cheating a little bit by running a set of used Koni Challenge Hoosier slicks from the race team I work for and it seemed most of the other cars were on sticky street tires. Here is some cuts of the video of me catching and passing a couple cars. They included a Porsche Boxster, older BMW 3 series, a couple VW's (the maroon rabbit looking one was my instructor driving), and a E46 M3 (he just let me by so that we could play, he's actually faster than me). It was a great day at the track and the Alfa-Romeo car club of Detroit were a great bunch of guys to run with. I met several new people who seem to be pretty good guys.

My best lap of the day was a 1:38.47 when I was trying to stay ahead of the M3. My average lap time was a 1:40.5. I know I left a bunch on the table though since I could get on the gas before the apex in several corners and I wasn't shifting into overdrive on the front straight. I was hitting the rev limiter in 3rd gear about halfway down the straight but didn't figure I needed the extra speed for my first track day.

Just as a point of interest, watch how much I can catch people under braking with stock brakes (Hawk pads, cheap rotors and cooling ducts) and sticky tires:thumbsup: I made a believer out of at least 6 new people, ENJOY :beer:

3rd session of the day
th_Grattan-Session-Three_Highlights.jpg

4th session of the day
th_Grattan-Session-Four_Highlights.jpg

5th session of the day
th_Grattan-Session-Five_Highlights.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread