Granatelli Camber/Caster plates any good?

iownedu

Established Member
I can get an aluminum 4 bolt brand new for $153 shipped, are these good ones?

I tried searching but couldnt come up with any reviews.

Thanks!

reldla1996

Established Member
MM are steel versus aluminum, and also 4 bolt, requiring you to drill one additional hole versus the factory 3 holes. I went MM, and can't speak to GMS.

Sagittaria

Established Member
If you're on coil overs (entire weight of the front end on those aluminum plates) I sure as heck wouldn't want them to be soft aluminum.

Even if you weren't, just looking at them.. they look pretty weak. Look at how much material there is around the bolt holes. Pretty scary.

gm-cp9499.jpg

MM is best here.

iownedu

Established Member
Hmm...well for the sake of argument of strength here...

If the car lifts the front tires off the ground, then there is weight hanging by those little granatelli allen bolts, but when it slams back to the ground the weight is all on the plate of the center UNDER the main plate.

If you look at the MM design that strut mount center plate is on top of the main plate, in turn making all the weight slamming back to the ground be held by the little bit of washer overlapping.

Does it make sense what Im saying? Im seeing the Granatelli as a better actual design, but weaker metal kinda negates that.

iownedu

Established Member
With the MM ones, essentially at all times the entire weight of the front of the car is being held up by the little bit of washer overhanging on the 4 bolts of those center plates...

I dont see it being a stronger design, because its weakest link is exactly what I just pointed out.

SlowSVT

Established Member
With the MM ones, essentially at all times the entire weight of the front of the car is being held up by the little bit of washer overhanging on the 4 bolts of those center plates...

I dont see it being a stronger design, because its weakest link is exactly what I just pointed out.

As a mechanical engineer I can tell you the MM are stronger just looking at the design compared to Granetelli unit. Note the spead of the bolt pattern, thicker web section where the holes are drilled and all steel construction.

iownedu

Established Member
As a mechanical engineer I can tell you the MM are stronger just looking at the design compared to Granetelli unit. Note the spead of the bolt pattern, thicker web section where the holes are drilled and all steel construction.

The spread may be better, the material may be better, but bottom line is when the front slams back down every bit of that design is relying on only the strength of the 4 washers overlap and the little tiny bit of bolt that might be hanging over as well.

But the actual shock/strut/tire sidewall takes away alot of the impact anyway.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
The spread may be better, the material may be better, but bottom line is when the front slams back down every bit of that design is relying on only the strength of the 4 washers overlap and the little tiny bit of bolt that might be hanging over as well.

But the actual shock/strut/tire sidewall takes away alot of the impact anyway.

With that in mind I think you should go with the Granatelli CC plates :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread