Grade 8 Bolts

Bulldogger

Established Member
Going to install my Dynatechs soon and was wondering if the Grade 8 locking bolts bare worth while or just stick with the included header bolts. Thanks

CPRsm

Those are fine. You aren't tightening a head gasket. Head would strip before those header bolt more than likely.

Bulldogger

Established Member
Those are fine. You aren't tightening a head gasket. Head would strip before those header bolt more than likely.

Not sure which you think are fine. It is not about overall tightness more about not coming loose. Exhaust manifold bolts are usually only 20-30ft/lbs

Bulldogger

Established Member
Oh man are those locking bolts going to be fun to tighten!

Did you use them? I hear mixed reviews, some guys say the c-clip can come off. I didn't buy them yet, really not sure if they are worth the hassle.

CPRsm

The stock bolts will be fine. It's the bolts fault when they come out. It's the flange bending. That causes the bolt to loose it's clamp, then it gets the blame.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I used the stock bolts and no problems so far. Will check when I change the wheels because I have to jack the car up. I checked after I drove it to Philly and had it dynoed. Returned home and they were still nice and tight. I wouldn't waste the money or time on the other bolts. Just me though

skyhighsd

Established Member
Did you use them? I hear mixed reviews, some guys say the c-clip can come off. I didn't buy them yet, really not sure if they are worth the hassle.

No I did not, didnt see a reason to. Plus I have not heard of anyone having a issue with these.

Leonard 95

Established Member
I used them on my old 95 cobra, they where ok at best. PITA to get the washer and clip on and I did lose a few I guess cause of the vibration. Just stick with the stock stuff and you should be ok.

CPRsm

I used them on my old 95 cobra, they where ok at best. PITA to get the washer and clip on and I did lose a few I guess cause of the vibration. Just stick with the stock stuff and you should be ok.

The clip shit is hype and a selling tactic. Headers bolts come loose because the flanges give when they get hot. You know the kind that has the raised surface to emebed into the gasket ? The bolt starts pulling the flange to the head, but that raised portion is what stops it. One heat cycle, the flanges get hot, relax and aren't pulling on that bolt head as hard any more. Then came come out after that, but that because there isn't enough tension to hold them in. That's why you have to tighten and re-tighten after a heat cycle when they are new. On my turbo headers, I weld them on the inside, and surface them flat. Then there is no ridge or anyway for the flange to "give" and bolts to loosen. A little RTV and once you lock that header bolt down, that's it. The thinner the flanges, the more problems you have with that ridge because they flex easier. Hope this make sense.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
i re-used my stock bolts as well. had to retighten them once. no problems since.

Users who are viewing this thread