Gotta be the throw-out bearing, right?

Ninety3Coupe

die eier von satan
Established Member
I swear. If it's not one thing...

So, 52 hours of work into the week (Monday, Tuesday and Wed...that's it, - not including today - gotta love working salary!) and I decided to go for a relaxing drive last night.

Until I hit 3400rpm that is. I can explain it as a "ringing" noise and it's a darned good explanation. It is loud and distinct.

I had noticed the car would ever so slightly make a light ringing noise when at idle - at a stop light - with my foot off the clutch - out of gear. But last night when I wound it up a bit (in several gears, not just one) the loud (gets my attention, doesn't make me pee myself out of pain, but loud) noise is very clear. Sounds different that the idle noise, but could just be the magnitude of noise changing sounds.

Tomorrow I go to my buddies shop to swap the gears in the back. Ditching the 4.10's for some adult / street minded 3.55's. I would be asking way too much of him and my effing wallet to try to pull the trans too and swap it out, but I would sure feel better knowing it is probably the T.O. bearing and not my T5.

Any ideas? Thanks guys!

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Does it stop making noise when your foot is on the clutch? If you just rest your foot on the clutch pedal and it stops thats the bearing. It sounds like thats what it is if its just slowly gotten worse over time. Its simple to fix and anyone with a little experience with these T5's can have the trans out, bearing replaced and trans back in in about 2 hours or less depending if they have access to a lift or not. The part is about $10, so dont pay a shop to do it, just do it in your spar time over a weekend. Also, it wont really hurt anything if it goes out, you just wont be able to shift, lol.

Ninety3Coupe

die eier von satan
Established Member
The noise at idle has gotta be the T.O. bearing. I have resolved myself to that fact.

It's the "new and improved" loud noise I am concerned about. If it is just another symptom of the same issue (T.O.B.) I can deal.

I have access to a lift and a very high-end mechanic. Who knew one of my few good high-school friends would wind up making a name for himself? I thank God for it, he is most useful now!

And thanks for the comforting words. Hell, the thing is stock. Not like it'll be slower without the ability to shift! lol.

Thanks for the info seriously. Any other ideas as to my new noise?

Users who are viewing this thread