Got the stall fix done

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
Took my car in and had it re-flashed to fix the stall. Hasn't stalled since.

The change is barely noticable, but it seems to affect how the car drops down to idle. Now when I let off of it and push the clutch in, the engine drops to around 1200, then 1000, then slowly settles down to around 750 RPMs.

Now I just need to take the car back so they can fix the stuff they screwed up while they were painting my bumper :bash:

Last edited:

Cobra-Master

Established Member
My car has stalled 3 times in the past week, so I took my car in today and had it flashed as well per the new SSM.

My dealer was really cool about it... they were unaware of the SSM, but they did the research when I gave them the number, and they found it and said to bring it in today. I hope to hell this fixes the problem.

BTW, has anyone had their car stall after having the new flash?

PS-- Thanks to all who put the information out there on the SSM number, etc. It's a big help.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
My car had the stall until I got the Predator. I messed around with the idle and voila...no more stall.

Vaelin

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-Master
My car has stalled 3 times in the past week, so I took my car in today and had it flashed as well per the new SSM.

My dealer was really cool about it... they were unaware of the SSM, but they did the research when I gave them the number, and they found it and said to bring it in today. I hope to hell this fixes the problem.

BTW, has anyone had their car stall after having the new flash?

PS-- Thanks to all who put the information out there on the SSM number, etc. It's a big help.

Haven't had any stalls, or even close, since the flash.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Never stalled once here. Built 06/02 and have 25,000 miles on the clock!

Cobra-Master

Established Member
I just read over my ticket that my wife brought home from the dealership. They serviced my car per SSM 16293, what's the difference in this SSM and the new one I keep reading about?

The tag says they reprogrammed the PCM per the latest calibration, so does that mean I could still have the fix, even though they reference a different SSM?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Cobra-Master

Established Member
Now that I've driven the car a bit, I assume I got the latest PCM program.

My idle stays around 1000 rpms while I'm coasting in neutral, and slowly drops to around 700-750 rpms once I'm stopped. It seemed to have a little higher rpms while the engine was warming up as well.

Does this sound about right?

Last edited:

f2fast4u

Established Member
Did they put a new sticker on the computer and door jam? What is the new code?

Last edited:

CobraTone

Established Member
Mine stalled until I got the predator as well. Bumped up the idle and it hasn't stalled since. Although I haven't driven her in two months. :( But my stepdad drives her once a week and she hasn't stalled on him. Until she does I think I will keep her away from the god awful dealer service dept. :rolleyes:

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-Master
I just read over my ticket that my wife brought home from the dealership. They serviced my car per SSM 16293, what's the difference in this SSM and the new one I keep reading about?

The tag says they reprogrammed the PCM per the latest calibration, so does that mean I could still have the fix, even though they reference a different SSM?

Thanks.

It should be SSM 17542. Hopefully they just used the latest flash available which would have actually been for SSM 17542. I would take it back and make sure they gave you the right flash. They can tell by the rev on the PCM when verified against the rev specified in the SSM if they have the latest or not.

Originally posted by f2fast4u
Did they put a new sticker on the computer and door jam? What is the new code?

No, I didn't get a new sticker when I got the re-flash. The way it was explained to me is that YDH1 is that latest code for 2003, any future enhancements like this one won't change that code, kind of like a patch doesn't change the major code release number of other types of software. It is like going from 6.1 to 6.2 of a software release, the major revision stays the same but the patch level or minor revision changes. Supposedly, any new PCM purchased for 03 will carry the number YDH1 and include the latest flash revision. Can anybody else confirm that?

Also, for those of you who haven't stalled yet, I would still get the re-flash because if you ever do stall I will guarantee it will be at the worst time possible and could be very dangerous. You lose power steering, power brakes, everything. Just tell them you have experienced stalling and have them reflash it per SSM 17542.

Cobra-Master

Established Member
My ticket says "reprogrammed PCM per latest available calibration"...

What would I say to the service tech when I call them to see what they actually did? It idled extremely different this morning, so I'm thinking they got it right, but they were referencing the SSM that actually mentions "stalling".

The other SSM seems to only mention lack of power on deceleration...? Maybe that's why they referenced the older SSM?

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
The SSM you referenced in your post is the older flash they thought fixed the stall but it did not. Here is the verbiage from the latest SSM 17542:
SM 17542 2003 MUSTANG COBRA - LACK OF POWER ON DECELERATION
SOME 2003 MUSTANG COBRA VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT DRIVABILITY CONCERNS INCLUDING LOSS OF POWER ON DECEL. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE CALIBRATION OF THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM). TO SERVICE, REPROGRAM THE PCM WITH THE LATEST CALIBRATION AVAILABLE USING WDS RELEASE B29.3 OR HIGHER. CALIBRATION FILES ARE ALSO AVAILABLE AT www.MOTORCRAFT.COM.

If they used release B29.3 or higher than you are fine. If they used the latest release you are probably ok but the older SSM referenced a calibration that really only fixed the low-rpm surge in the morning and cold start-ups. They probably did use the right one but it doesn't hurt to check...

Cobra-Master

Established Member
I don't have a sticker in the door either... I guess I'll just wait and see how she runs for a few days, and go from there. At this point, she hasn't even thought about stalling whether it's warm or cold.

Cobra-Master

Established Member
I just called SVT and they told me that there should be a new calibration sticker somewhere in the engine bay.

He said the SSM number they referenced on my ticket isn't as critical as the date shown on the calibration sticker. He said as long as the date on the calibration sticker is equal to or later than the date they released SSM 17542, then I'm good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread