Got the Cobra Started with the Vortech

xTomKx

Established Member
After some ordeals with a leaky oil cooler finally got the Cobra started last night with the T-trim Vortech. I was told that it should run fairly well with the 60lb injectors and a p-mass Protube calibrated for 60lb injectors. But my idle was slowly fluctuating back and forth from 600rpm to 1200.

I did some additional work on the car while installing the blower like pulling the intake and cleaning the IMRS. Is it normal for the idle to fluctuate like that since it hasn't been tuned yet?

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
Even without a tune, the EEC should automatically correct itself and stay close to the stock idle. It even changes the timing continuously to target the correct idle. This may take a several minutes and will only happen once it is warmed up. You are seeing significant swing. If it never stablizes then I would suspect a bypass issue causing too much air to be pushed into the engine when it isn't needed or a vacuum leak.

94venomV8

Established Member
Without a tune my old car did the same thing, then when I got it tuned it was perfect. I wouldnt worry about it to much.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
First a word of advice, don't do two things at one time. If something goes wrong with either one you don't know where to look.
Second, after disconnecting the battery and cleaning my IMRC's, my idle was up and down until the engine warmed up and I took it out for a short cruise to let the ECU relearn.

xTomKx

Established Member
It was half of the work to clean the IRMC's since I was swapping injectors and the coolant was drained. I'm fairly confident in my work but I reused the intake gaskets since they looked good. Will check how much Vacuum I'm seeing and post it up tomorrow.

F8L BYT

Established Member
I'm telling you there is nothing wrong with it this is normal after install and needs a tune and thats all!!!

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
MY car ran fine infact it was very strong then I took it in for the tune. Lidio tuned it,then on the way home I could tell it made more power before the tune, oh well now its alot safer.

xTomKx

Established Member
I had some time yesterday to mess around with the car. Got it up to temperature and tried driving around the block but it was running so rich that it was stumbling and backfiring all over. The idle RPM stabilized at 600 but it was very rough. Then I was just idling in the driveway for a while and then it didn't want to idle at all anymore. I'm only pulling 15Hg vacuum at 600rpm.

OBD codes are:

p1000 (OBD-II Monitor Testing Incomplete)

p1100 (Mass Air Flow Sensor Intermittent) I have P-mass protube blowthrough

p1414 (air injection) that's out

My entire neighbourhood smelled like gasoline for the next hour. Looks like I'm towing it to the tuner.

Last edited:

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
Sounds like you might have a vacuum leak too. A Stock engine idles at about 20Hg. A good tuner should be able to sort everything out for you.

SuperG

Established Member
I would never assume nothing is wrong, because if in fact something is wrong, then it's going to be costly. Start with a good tuner...if they can't sort out any idle or running problems, then it's a physical problem that needs to be found.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I had some time yesterday to mess around with the car. Got it up to temperature and tried driving around the block but it was running so rich that it was stumbling and backfiring all over. The idle RPM stabilized at 600 but it was very rough. Then I was just idling in the driveway for a while and then it didn't want to idle at all anymore. I'm only pulling 15Hg vacuum at 600rpm.

OBD codes are:

p1000 (OBD-II Monitor Testing Incomplete)

p1100 (Mass Air Flow Sensor Intermittent) I have P-mass protube blowthrough

p1414 (air injection) that's out

My entire neighbourhood smelled like gasoline for the next hour. Looks like I'm towing it to the tuner.

The p1000 is fine, thats just a readyness code.. p1100 is because your car isnt tuned for that mass air meter and injectors...

See if your tuner can get you a base file to drive with.

My tuner sent me a tune, I installed it, logged the car and he sent the drive tune.

xTomKx

Established Member
Thanks guys, I'm going to call few tuners tomorrow and find out who I'm going with. Meanwhile I'll check for vacuum leaks. Although since I eliminated the air injection most of the vacuum lines are gone.

Users who are viewing this thread