Got some questions.

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
Hey, just got some random questions for you all.

First off is that I have been thinking of putting in new gears. Since I still have the stock rear, would I have to worry about them just blowing up? I would also put on traction bars to help protect it but I don't know if I should risk it. Also sometime after my highschool and college is over with I want to go turbo on the truck. I've heard that a higher gear is better on them. Another reason I would not want to do it is the speedo would be off. It already reads fast, how would changing them to say 4.33's affect it? In the end would it be worth it?

My next question is I am hopefully buying that cat-pipe I posted, and was wondering if later on I should buy some bassani headers to go with it? I have heard that with those mods together it feels much better.

Also I have been thinking about going with the "HotRod" cam, I've heard it gives you nice low end power, which is what Ive been wanting. Im curently doing searches on in on NLOC right now but I thought Id ask anyways. What do I need for it to make it work? Is it a good N/A cam, should I go with another one when/if I ever go turbo?

Next I was thinking about doing 1.72 roller rockers, would that be a good mod?

Does switching to an MSD ignition help you any with gas mileage, does it help performance at all?

Thanks for the help, I'm still trying to learn about this truck, and its alot of fun.

:burnout:

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
I think the stock gears are just fine. With the 4.33 your acceleration will go up, but gas mileage and top speed will be way down, not to mention drivability and what not. If you can't afford the Pickrel, the next best bet is to go with the bassani's. Headers will definetely make a difference, even if they are shorties. The hotrod cam has mixed reviews, but it is a good cam if you don't want to convert over to a roller (it's flat tappet) The thing that scared me away are the somewhat plentiful "Hotrod cam gone wrong" posts on the nloc. I'd say save the roller rockers for when and if you get heads, not much of a difference will be felt with them IMHO although I cannot speak from experience. Switching to an MSD ignition will maybe help your gas mileage by 1 or 2 mpg but I don't think on a relatively stock truck you will see much if any performance gain. ZFWIW, instead of going with the Hotrod cam, maybe you should try piecing together a roller conversion kit. Look on ebay...you can find quite a few of the parts over there if you're lucky and have patience. Good Luck-Josh

Matt95L

Established Member
If you buy the Hotrod cam deffinately have who ever you get it from check it for flaws.Apparently Comp sent out a bad batch(Based on all the NLOC failures).Its a great cam though Hotrod had the fastest stock shortblock n/a gen1 for a long time using that cam with 1.72 roller rockers 13.2 at 102mph i believe.

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
If I did go with the hot rod cam and roller rockers, would I need to buy anything else to go with 'em?

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
Nope. Hotrod cam should go in no problem. Too much work sourcing out a roller conversion and a 5.0 cam? What are the specs on the Hotrod cam by chance?

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
Soul Rebel said:
Too much work sourcing out a roller conversion and a 5.0 cam?

Maybe, but Im really just trying to figure out all the options.

I have another question, do underdrive pullies sets(say the march) come with two or three pullies? Wondering if I had to buy the third extra...

Matt95L

Established Member
I bought a set of Mac underdrive pulleys from Pickrel they came with the third(Altenator) pulley.I never put it on though,because my truck hasn't had any charging issues.Maybe if i get efans.

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
Yeah the March UD pulleys come with three pulleys: water pump, alternator (need an impact to get it on it is tiny!) and crank (will prolly need a breaker bar for this). It was my very first mod and first time touching a car/truck mechanically. I'd say the install is relatively simple, if you don't have an impact you can take it to a local auto parts store and I'm pretty sure they'll do it for free. Power wise I'm unsure of the gain, it is just supposed to reduce the parasitic loss caused by the accessories, which equals to MAYBE 10 rwhp. But for $100, it's a cheap and easy mod. -Josh

Users who are viewing this thread