Got smoked by Grand Prix GTP

WIlawman

Established Member
The GTP my wife drives ran a 15 [email protected], track temps of 95+ along with high humidity. Haven't raced the CSVT yet, but I'm definately not expecting to win when I do. When she starts getting cocky, though, I just tell her we can take it to the twisties and we'll see who wins then. That usually shuts her up :thumbsup:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by 2fast
my mom has a 1997 green grand am 2.3 L :eek: , and i told her she should've got a gtp those things are nice.

So true. Of course change the plugs to Bosch and add 8.8 Excel wires, K&N air filter, and an exhaust.... the motor will come alive. ;-)

Try it, you'll see a dramatic improvement.:)

The '04 GTP comes with 260hp, due to a redesigned Eaton M90. It's supposedly more efficeint than the older generation. (Why didn't they use this tech on my '03 Cobra?). Anyway, with 3.4" pulley, cold air intake, and 1.9 rockers my wife's '04 GTP runs 13.90's at 101 mph.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
nice death... I know those cars can be quick.. I kinda always looked over my shoulder if I ever saw one when I had the 01 GT... Now I don't worry about them anymore... i figure I drive home in my cobra, they still drive home in the GTP.. I think I'll take mine :)

THNKTWC

Just Another Foxbody
Established Member
I got a 97 GTP and I usually don't have too hard a time with lightly modded stangs(outside of the blown cars of course). I have been able to stay out in front of most of the GT's that I've ran, only raced a couple cobras. One was a 98(magnaflow catback, bassani X, BBK CAI) and I handled him well from a dig by a couple cars. The other I ran was a 96 Vert(4.30's, built rearend, nittos, shifter, clutch, CAI, flowmasters) and I had him all the way til about 95 then he pulled a half car on me for the win. One of the best races I've had on the street.:rockon:

Last edited:

screwed

'Round And 'Round I Go
Established Member
Originally posted by THNKTWC
I got a 97 GTP and I usually don't have too hard a time with lightly modded stangs(outside of the blown cars of course). I have been able to stay out in front of most of the GT's that I've ran, only raced a couple cobras. One was a 98(magnaflow catback, bassani X, BBK CAI) and I handled him well from a dig by a couple cars. The other I ran was a 96 Vert(4.30's, built rearend, nittos, shifter, clutch, CAI, flowmasters) and I had him all the way til about 95 then he pulled a half car on me for the win. One of the best races I've had on the street.:rockon:
:lol:

Steeltwo

Established Member
when I was looking for a new car to complement my talon, I drove two cars

97 Buick Regal GS(a GTP in a different shell, but lighter I think??)
98 SVT Tour

i hate normal cars, what fun is that :)

the Regal had WAAAAAAAAY more power from a low punch and off the line. Enough to bake the tires at 35.

But from a 60 roll i'd bet some money the tour would slowly walk away.
at 90's i'm positive stock vs stock the svt would walk.

and at 60 all the fun goes away from the L67 powered cars. They shift, I had a really wierd look on my face the first time it shifted.
it was like :eek:
where did all that power go?

the buick was sweet though. Autoclimate and dual climate witha killer stero, i'll get one sometime in my life. But right now I wanted something that could corner and brake above most cars.

the buick might have been faster in a straightline and have more room. But that was all it had over the tour.

Shoregtp

Established Member
Hey guys,

I was just reading over this thread and have to give you guys props :thumbsup: I am on a lot of forums and have posted here quite a few times and this forum by far has the most mature and educated people on it. I read about the SRT4's and other cars and how they murder mildly modded GTPs and such. I am mildly modded (<$1000 - 13.322 in street trim (8.53 8th)) and can run with the fastest SRT4's and 350z's :rockon:

I just got a new PB a few weeks ago at Cecil and I am mildly modded.

Nice board and I love the SVT Cobras, Lightnings & Contours!!! :bowdown:

Thanks,
Greg

2000 Black Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
3.0 Pulley
3" Downpipe
1.9 Rockers
K&N
DHP PCM
(<$1000 in mods) :-D
Stock Tires
Stock Throttle Body
Stock SuperCharger
Stock Manifolds & Mufflers
13.322 @ 102.12 MPH on 1.973 60ft
No Race Gas in Street Trim

Last edited:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by Shoregtp
Hey guys,

I was just reading over this thread and have to give you guys props :thumbsup: I am on a lot of forums and have posted here quite a few times and this forum by far has the most mature and educated people on it. I read about the SRT4's and other cars and how they murder mildly modded GTPs and such. I am mildly modded (<$1000 - 13.322 in street trim (8.53 8th)) and can run with the fastest SRT4's and 350z's :rockon:

Thanks,
Greg

3.0 Pulley
3" Downpipe
1.9 Rockers
K&N
DHP PCM
Stock Tires
Stock Throttle Body
Stock SuperCharger

Welcome! :thumbsup:

Judging from your sig I see you've got quite the sleeper! :rockon: Doesn't look like you had to put too much $$$$ to do it either. :-D

PontiacJoe

Originally posted by Shoregtp
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Greg

3.0 Pulley
3" Downpipe
1.9 Rockers
K&N
DHP PCM
Stock Tires
Stock Throttle Body
Stock SuperCharger

How are you running a 3.0 without headers? Have you scanned your car for KR lately? Especially without race gas :??:

97RedSnake

Established Member
Could this thread be any older??? How did you even find it to reply to it with the search function not working? And i kind of have my doubts that Shoregtp will be answering you, since he hasn't posted here since 12-05-03. :lol:

*Edit: Sorry if that seemed sort of harsh. It just made me laugh when i saw the dates of the previous posts.

Last edited:

caindo

Established Member
Originally posted by PontiacJoe
http://www.alexpolash.com/vids/EDMORAD1108.mpg

right click save as

You were cross posted so I thought you guys might get a kick out of this video.

thats funny, that car's sitting in my driveway (diff motor and tranny now) ;-) so anyways i came here to find out what a 98 cobra with exhaust and chip runs cause i handed one his ass the other night on I95 here in vegas. he put up a good fight until i turn perf shift on, rolled windows up and turned the air off and downshifted. we went from 70 - 140~ and i was pulling hard on him. just curious. i ran a 12.9 at lvms a week ago.

The BigSHO

Established Member
GTPs are nice cars. I wouldn't mind having one.

I test drove a 2000 GTP a few years back. It would beat either of
my cars off the line - 98.5 CSVT or 92 SHO. Both my cars, like the GTP are stock. From a roll, using my butt dyno, the CSVT or SHO would beat the GTP. Especially the SHO.

Mod the GTP and they easily spank any SHO or CSVT in the quarter mile. GTP handling is average. Either SHO or CSVT outhandle it...Especially the CSVT. Even the new Comp G GTPs are no match for the handling of CSVT.

Last edited:

blown96bird

Established Member
grand prix are not a problem. I normaly toast them all the time. but then again I have a tbird that has 400 hp and 445 ftlb of torque at the crank. Traction is a real big issue with my car till you are rolling 45 mph. I have spun the tires rolling 55 mph on worn asphult. At the local track it has gotten where the stangs and gm f bodies won't race me any more. :( I guess they are getting tired of getting there buts handed to them by a thunderchicken:).

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I am still waiting for coworkers slp gtx vs coworkers 03 acura 260 hp 6 speed, I think it will be a close one. I'm going with the gtx it has a smaller pulley, exh, cai. 1/4 mi as the acura has a higher speed limiter, and acura is fwd and wheelhops.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I've driven both. Plenty of CSVT's and only one supercharged GTP. The contours are quicker off the line being a 5 speed but the GTP's acceleration stays pretty constant at highway speeds. They are nice cars. Especially the speedometer that's projected onto the windshield. I love that.

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
I've driven both. Plenty of CSVT's and only one supercharged GTP. The contours are quicker off the line being a 5 speed but the GTP's acceleration stays pretty constant at highway speeds. They are nice cars. Especially the speedometer that's projected onto the windshield. I love that.

Having owned both a 99CSVT and a 02GTP, no way is the CSVT faster outta the hole. Aint gonna happen. That car has no torque. You really have to rev it up to get it moving. The GTP has pretty good low end torque. Also the GTP feels like the boost drops or something as soon as it hits second gear. It definitely seemed to drop power once it hit second, maybe it was just me??

I thing I miss most about the GTP is the HUD. That was neat and I got used to it and took awhile to for me not to look for it in my new car.

FoxRodStang

Established Member
yeah, the GTP's are pretty quick. My old boss has one. From what I remember, he's changed the pulley, CAI, Borla exhaust, new PCM, shift kit, & a shot of juice (don't remember how much). Dang things a sleeper. Refrigerator white paint, stock wheels. Now his C5 vette on the other hand, yellow paint, loud as heck exhaust383 stroker, Procharger, & 761rhwp! Definatly not a sleeper. I've driven the gtp, but, haven't had the chance to drive the vette yet, but soon, ehehe.

Blackout

Last edited:

04HillzGT

Established Member
nice to see that people actually admit when they lose, was this guy stock, I had no clue those things were that fast damn now I wanna run one

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
From people that I have talked to they can run from 15.0 to mid 14's stock. I should of took mine to the track. Actually I wished I would of kept it and just threw a few mods on it. I planned on putting on borla exhaust and downpipe, and then a pulley and CAI.

I really could use the 4 door sedan now, and having one that was reasonably quick, is even better.

Users who are viewing this thread