Got smoked by Grand Prix GTP

Danny Shamblin

Established Member
I'm not sure what year it was but damn did it go.I saw it and figured what the hell.I didn't know if I could take it or not,never tried b4.We were going about 40 and I dropped and got on it well so did he,and did he ever.Man he was gone.I flashed my lights and caught back up.He was a real nice guy.He told me that I have a pretty bad ass car.I replied the same to him.He told me if we were on the interstate I probably could have taken him.I told him I didn't know,and we parted ways.Has any other CSVT owner tried one yet and had better results.Oh yeah I don't think he was completely stock.:sh:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Supercharged 3.8L V-6 making 260 HP stock...you've got nothing to hang your head about. Like me losing to a ZO6 'vette, no big deal... ;)

/edit/ This post was in 2001, when I was driving a 1998 Cobra...;-)

LogiWorld123

Established Member
i beat one, because he lagged it off the line...

no they are fast... just too bad they are GM

now, if the contour was s/c'ed... (and no reliability problems), the 'tour would win.

wheelspin

Established Member
At Car Craft a couple weeks back I saw a Civic with that motor Shoehorned IN THE BACK. SICK SICK SICK. I like it... :D I even have some pics around here somewhere...

Danny Shamblin

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue98Cobra
Supercharged 3.8L V-6 making 260 HP stock...you've got nothing to hang your head about. Like me losing to a ZO6 'vette, no big deal... ;)
Yeah I wasn't sure what size engine and how much horspower it had,but it was fun.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue98Cobra

Actually it has 240hp stock. But, it has 280 ft lbs of torque. Over 100 more than the SVTour. Don't hang your head too much.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Danny...all i Have to say is been there done that...as in...I've been in your shoes before....:sh:

rust0r

Established Member
was infront of one on the highway doing about 130 and saw it come flying up in my mirror and i put it to the floor but it was going to fast to even the distance out, but then later it was infront of my and i put the peddle to the floor, moved over the other lane, he sped up and i got past him doing about 110 with the advantage of speeding up first, those cars are mass fast tho, i wouldnt have stood a chance if we dragged tho, later i saw another one and wanted to race it but when i pulled up it was a 50 year old lady driving it.... oh well

95Mike

Kick-Ass Grocery-Getter!
Established Member
Where in the hell did this come from?

BTW, I have taken a couple from a roll before. Never tried from a dig.

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
A guy around here has one on the spray itsa 50 shot but his car gets with the program pretty good i think he said it run low 13s

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Well lets just say i was surprised by one of them at the track.

Dude had a helmet on bro :eek: WTF????

I got him of the tree but after that i was playing catch up. On the 1000F id barely caught up to him & by the 1320F i passed him up but only 2tenths.

Sorry but they are fast but back then i didnt drive any better then i do now :shrug:

FLYNLO

Established Member
Originally posted by Scoriox
now, if the contour was s/c'ed... (and no reliability problems), the 'tour would win.

Damn, I can't figure it out but that sounds strangely familiar. Nice death!!!!!!!!!

jakhammer

Established Member
yeah, those GTP guys have good power stock. They have even better power modded. I have seen low 12 second runs from those cars. They are one hell of a sleeper when done up.

Chris

Last edited:

frdmstnggt

Mine: Audi, Yours: Innie
Established Member
:bash: I went up against a GTP in the Chicago area. We both stayed nose to nose. I had a full vehicle myself, but I'm not going to hold that against anyhting. We went down the highway and he gave up. I almost redlined every shift, but at about 137 MPH he gave up. He knew that a Grand Prix would never take my Stang!! :coolman:

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
They take to mods like the 03 Cobra. I see several that show up to Fontana. One runs high 12's and the other is more in the low to mid 13 sec range.

NJhardc0re

Established Member
Originally posted by frdmstnggt
:bash: I went up against a GTP in the Chicago area. We both stayed nose to nose. I had a full vehicle myself, but I'm not going to hold that against anyhting. We went down the highway and he gave up. I almost redlined every shift, but at about 137 MPH he gave up. He knew that a Grand Prix would never take my Stang!! :coolman:

Could be because the computers shut down at 123 on GTP's (stock). I love my car, but id take a Lightning over it anyday. The cool thing is that they do take mods very easily.

03SLOBRA

Trollin aint easy
Established Member
I know that SLP the company that produced the Firehawk and 96-97 Camaro SS's makes parts for GM 3.8L supercharged W-cars, GTP, Regal GS. Both came from the factory with 240hp 280ftlb's from 97-03. SLP offers ram air hoods, exhaust, chips and pulley's. Power on most of these cars can get in the 270hp range. And some due to good launching can pull low 13's with some hard work. High 12's is not totally uncommon. In 04 the new Grand Prix has more boost and has 260hp.

Users who are viewing this thread